Exercises in continuum mechanics

In summary, the conversation involves solving exercises in continuum mechanics. The first exercise is to calculate the components of the stress vector at a specific point in a Cartesian coordinate system. The second exercise involves determining the expressions of σx and σy for a point with a given shear stress. The last exercise involves calculating the derivatives of a function at a specific point to find the values of σx and σy. The responses to the exercises involve resolving equations and using the Airy function.
geotechnique
Hello
Please forgive me if i am not posting in the correct forum. Also you may find my English a bit rusty since i am basically French

Ok so i want to solve some exercises in continuum mechanics . The first exercise states :
we have a stress tensor in a Cartesian coordinate system with the point O ; origin of the system , such as :
captur10.jpg

calculate σx so that one face of the stress vector is nil at point 0 ( i know it sounds odd)
Then , calculate the components of the vector n on this face .

Another exercise states : the function of a stress for a plain stress condition is given by :
captur11.jpg

Where a and b are constants and the volume forces are ignored .
Determine the expressions of σx and σy if for the point M(1,1) the shear stress is equal to 1/2.

For the last exercise , what i have done is calculate the derivative of Φ with respect to x and did that again for y , then calculate the the two derivative functions for the point M so it gave me :
σ1 =a+3b
σ2=4a+2b
after that i applied the know functions to calculate σx and σy for a plain stress problem
it gave me these results :
σx =a+3b
σy= 4a+2b which equal exactly my first results ( not sure if this is correct tho )
Thanks

Last edited:
yea well i found out the responses to the question . for the first one , you just need to resolve the serie of nul equations ( the stress tensor multiplied by the n vecteur equal 0)
for the last problem , that function is called the Airy function .

What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of materials that can be modeled as a continuous mass, such as fluids, gases, and solids. It is based on the concept of a continuum, which refers to the assumption that the material properties vary continuously throughout a given region, without any abrupt changes.

What are some examples of exercises in continuum mechanics?

Some examples of exercises in continuum mechanics include studying the deformation and stress of an elastic material under different loading conditions, analyzing the flow of fluids through pipes and channels, and investigating the behavior of materials under extreme conditions such as high temperatures and pressures.

What are the basic principles of continuum mechanics?

The basic principles of continuum mechanics include the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, the laws of thermodynamics, and the constitutive equations that describe the relationship between stress and strain in a material. These principles provide a framework for understanding the behavior of continuous materials and predicting their response to different stimuli.

How is continuum mechanics used in practical applications?

Continuum mechanics has a wide range of practical applications, including structural engineering, fluid dynamics, materials science, and biomechanics. It is used to design and analyze structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft, as well as to optimize processes such as fluid flow in pipelines and heat transfer in power plants. It also plays an important role in understanding the mechanics of biological systems and developing medical devices.

What are the limitations of continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is based on certain assumptions, such as the continuum hypothesis and the assumption of material homogeneity and isotropy, which may not hold true for all materials and situations. It also does not take into account the atomic and molecular structure of materials, which can become significant at very small length scales. Therefore, continuum mechanics may not accurately predict the behavior of materials in extreme conditions or at the nanoscale.