Expand and simplify this formula

In summary, the correct way to solve the problem 2a + 2 (3a + 2) is to first multiply 2 by everything inside the bracket, giving 6a + 4. Then, add 2a to the result, giving the final answer of 8a + 4. This is because multiplication takes precedence over addition in the order of operations. Remember to use parentheses when needed to clarify the order of operations.
Gringo123
I had to expand and simplify this formula and I got it wrong.
2a + 2 (3a + 2)
I first multiplied the 2a by everything inside the bracket, giving:
6a squared + 4a
Then multiplied the 2 by everything inside the bracket, giving:
6a + 4
so in total I had:
6a squared + 4a + 6a + 4
which I simplified to:
6a squared + 10a + 4

The answer is actually:
8a + 4
Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gringo123 said:
2a + 2 (3a + 2)
6a squared + 4a
6a + 4
so in total I had:
6a squared + 4a + 6a + 4
which I simplified to:
6a squared + 10a + 4

The answer is actually:
8a + 4
Where did I go wrong?

The problem is in your first step. The bracket is multiplied by just 2, not 2a.

Your method would have been ok if the question was instead (2a + 2) (3a + 2). Note the extra set of brackets? It makes a big difference.

Without the first set of brackets, the expression is essentially saying: "Evaluate '3a+2', multiply this by 2 and then add 2a".
With the first set of brackets, the expression is saying: "Evaluate '3a+2', then evaluate '2a+2', and then multiply these two numbers".

Gringo123 said:
2a + 2 (3a + 2)
6a squared + 4a
6a + 4
so in total I had:
6a squared + 4a + 6a + 4
which I simplified to:
6a squared + 10a + 4

The answer is actually:
8a + 4
Where did I go wrong?

you first multiply the 2 by everything inside the bracket then it will give you correct ...

Thank a lot Danago!
So as a rule is it true to say that you only multiply everything inside the bracket only by the unit that comes immediately before the bracket? In the case 2?

I got the following 2 questions right, and yet I multiplied everything inside the bracket by everything outside of it. What is the difference?

4(3b - 2) - 5b
ans - 7b -8

6(2c - 1) - 7c
ans - 5c -6

The question you were confused on can be rewritten as 2(3+2a) + 2a, which is the same format as your other problems. See how this is different than what you originally solved, which was (2+2a)(3+2a)?

kind of, just remember you don't multiply by something you're adding i.e.

3a+a(6-2a)=9a-2a^2
NOT
18a^2-6a^3 do you follow?

Gringo123,
Something that you seem to be struggling with is the order of operations. You might not be aware that some arithmetic operations are more highly privileged than other.

For example, the 2*3 + 5 simplifies to 11. The multiplication takes precedence over the addition, so this is evaluated as 6 + 5 rather that 2*8. The idea of operator precedence also applies to computer programming languages, in case your studies ever take you in that direction.

Back when I was taking algebra years ago, my teach gave us a mnemonic device "My Dear Aunt Sally." The M and D represent multiplication and division; the A and S represent addition and subtraction. The idea is that multiplication or division always take precedence over addition or subtraction.

If you need to change the order of operations, use parentheses () or brackets [] or braces {}.

In your first post, you had 2a + 2 (3a + 2) and got the wrong answer. This is because you misinterpreted the problem as (2a + 2)(3a + 2), which it isn't.

2a + 2 (3a + 2)
= 2a + 6a + 4
= 8a + 4
You have to do the multiplication first - 2 times (3a + 2)
Then you add 2a and the results of the previous step.

Just to add on a tid bit, Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally is a little bit better--Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.

When I was learning algebra they hadn't invented exponents or parentheses yet:smile:

Mark44 said:
When I was learning algebra they hadn't invented exponents or parentheses yet:smile:

Except you would've still learned logarithms? :smile:

And what about factorizing!?

What an age to be living in... :bugeye:

Related to Expand and simplify this formula

1. What does it mean to "expand and simplify" a formula?

Expanding and simplifying a formula involves breaking it down into smaller, simpler parts and combining them to create a more condensed and easier to solve expression. This is often done by using the distributive property and combining like terms.

2. Why is it important to expand and simplify a formula?

Expanding and simplifying a formula can help make it easier to understand and solve complex equations. It also allows for easier manipulation of the formula to solve for different variables or to plug in specific values.

3. What are some strategies for expanding and simplifying a formula?

Some strategies for expanding and simplifying a formula include using the distributive property, combining like terms, and using the rules of exponents. It is important to follow the correct order of operations to ensure the correct simplification of the formula.

4. Can you give an example of expanding and simplifying a formula?

Sure! Let's say we have the formula (x+2)(x+5). To expand, we would use the distributive property to multiply each term in the first set of parentheses by each term in the second set of parentheses. This would give us x^2 + 5x + 2x + 10. To simplify, we would combine like terms, giving us x^2 + 7x + 10.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when expanding and simplifying a formula?

One common mistake to avoid is not following the correct order of operations. Another mistake is incorrectly expanding terms or not combining like terms properly. It is also important to double check your simplification to ensure it is equivalent to the original formula.