Expanding explosion from an Asteroid

In summary: So explicitly placing, my question is how to relate the generalised version of... to a specific density profile?In summary, the density profile of the cloud will vary with radius, but will always remain uniform.
Anmoldeep
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
An asteroid of mass M explodes into a spherical homogenous cloud in free space. Due to energy received by the explosion, the cloud expands and the expansion is spherically symmetric. At an instant, when the radius of the cloud is R, all of its particles on the surface are observed receding radially away from the center of the cloud with a velocity V. What will the radius of the cloud be, when its expansion ceases?

I got the correct answer by writing the force equation of the differential element just at the edge of the spherical cloud. Also used self-energy of the differential shell element and got a workable differential equation.

What bothers me is, in the solution provided, they derive that the velocity profile is linear with "r", on the basis that at all times, density in the cloud is uniform regardless of radial distance. I wanted to ask that although at the given instance, the density is uniform, it's not necessary that it will remain so throughout the expansion. Moreover, my original answer is independent of the density function, does this mean that there can be different possible profiles of velocity and density variance. Please make me digest the fact that the density of the cloud remains uniform at all times or is it mentioned in the question itself and I am too blind to see it.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your question: by the shell theorem the outer layer has a gravitational force opposing its expansion independent of the density distribution of the cloud. So, you don't need the assumption of uniform density.

Have you checked whether maintaining uniform density is possible?

PeroK said:
If I understand your question: by the shell theorem the outer layer has a gravitational force opposing its expansion independent of the density distribution of the cloud. So, you don't need the assumption of uniform density.

Have you checked whether maintaining uniform density is possible?
If the uniform density were to be maintained, the outward velocity profile would need to to be linear with radius. Meanwhile, under this assumption, inward gravitational acceleration would be linear with radius. That would seem to set things up nicely to maintain a linear velocity distribution and, hence, a uniform density distribution.

Likes Anmoldeep and PeroK
@jbriggs444 Thanks for the answer. Yeah, that seems understandable. So no compulsion in assuming that.
That aside, I tried my best to solve this using a general radial density variation rho(r) which is, let's say, dependant on the maximum radius of the cloud at any moment.

The density profile was normalized using the fact that
$$ \int _{0}^{R_{o}} \rho _{o} .4\pi r^{2} .dr\ =\ \int _{0}^{R_{max}} \rho _{R_{max}} .4\pi r^{2} .dr\ =\ M$$
which gives constant density in the starting but as the cloud expands density varies.

I also used a general velocity profile, in the everything boils down to simplifying integrals and relating velocity profile to density profile, any insight on how to do this. Just in the general form.

$$\frac{3}{2}\frac{M}{R_{o}^{3}}\int _{0}^{R_{o}} V( r,R_{o})^{2} r^{2} .dr\ -\frac{3}{5}\frac{GM^{2}}{R_{o}} =\ -\ G\left( 16\pi ^{2}\right)\int _{0}^{R_{max}}\left[\int _{0}^{r} \rho _{Rmax} .r^{2} .dr\right] \rho _{Rmax} .r .dr$$

where ##V(r,R_{o})## is the velocity profile when the radius is Ro i.e. at the initial condition and ##𝜌_{Rmax}## is the density profile when expansion ceases. The right-hand side of the above integral is the gravitational self-energy of the sphere at the end.

Last edited:
Sorry for the continuous editing, I have refined the last post and corrected a minor error in the last integral

Does this equation give the answer for the maximum radius ##r##?$$\frac{GM}{r} = \frac{GM}{R} - \frac 1 2 V^2$$

Last edited:
Yes

Anmoldeep said:
Yes
Do you see why?

Likes Anmoldeep
PeroK said:
Do you see why?
Yes sir. I got it that way, I was just unsure of how to proceed with a general density profile.

Anmoldeep said:
Yes sir. I got it that way, I was just unsure of how to proceed with a general density profile.
The shell theorem applies for any spherically symmetric density profile.

Yes, sir, I understand that. However, I no longer want to use shell theorem, I want to mathematically conclude that any density/velocity profile of the cloud normalized to given conditions will end up in the same max radius, not relying on the force equations at the edge, hence I need a way to relate velocity and density profile in the integrals I presented above in a post. I want to work with the bulk and not the external differential shell.

Anmoldeep said:
Yes, sir, I understand that. However, I no longer want to use shell theorem, I want to mathematically conclude that any density/velocity profile of the cloud normalized to given conditions will end up in the same max radius, not relying on the force equations at the edge, hence I need a way to relate velocity and density profile in the integrals I presented above in a post. I want to work with the bulk and not the external differential shell.
So explicitly placing, my question is how to relate the generalised version of density and velocity profiles

Anmoldeep said:
So explicitly placing, my question is how to relate the generalised version of density and velocity profiles
For the outermost layer they are unrelated. For an interior layer it depends only on how much total mass is enclosed by that layer. It's really the same as a vertical projectile problem.

Likes Anmoldeep
PeroK said:
For the outermost layer they are unrelated. For an interior layer it depends only on how much total mass is enclosed by that layer. It's really the same as a vertical projectile problem.
Thanks, sir, I will give it a try and try to approach the same solution the other way. Thanks a lot for your time.:smile:

Likes berkeman

1. What is an expanding explosion from an asteroid?

An expanding explosion from an asteroid occurs when an asteroid impacts a planet or other celestial body, resulting in a release of energy that causes an explosion. This explosion can be caused by the asteroid's impactor, or by the asteroid itself breaking apart upon impact.

2. How does an expanding explosion from an asteroid affect the surrounding environment?

The effects of an expanding explosion from an asteroid can vary depending on the size and composition of the asteroid, as well as the location of impact. In general, an expanding explosion can cause widespread destruction, including shockwaves, earthquakes, and tsunamis. It can also release large amounts of dust and debris into the atmosphere, potentially causing global climate changes.

3. Can an expanding explosion from an asteroid cause a mass extinction event?

Yes, an expanding explosion from an asteroid has the potential to cause a mass extinction event. This has been demonstrated by the impact of a large asteroid on Earth approximately 66 million years ago, which is believed to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs.

4. How do scientists study and predict the effects of an expanding explosion from an asteroid?

Scientists use various methods, such as computer simulations and laboratory experiments, to study and predict the effects of an expanding explosion from an asteroid. They also gather data from past asteroid impacts and use this information to create models that can help predict the potential effects of future impacts.

5. What measures can be taken to mitigate the impact of an expanding explosion from an asteroid?

There are several measures that can be taken to mitigate the impact of an expanding explosion from an asteroid, including early detection and tracking of potentially hazardous asteroids, developing technologies to deflect or destroy asteroids, and establishing emergency response plans for potential impact scenarios. International collaboration and funding for asteroid detection and mitigation efforts are also important factors in minimizing the impact of an expanding explosion from an asteroid.