Expansion of a Compressible Gas

In summary, based on the compressibility of air, P1V1=P2V2 cannot be used to calculate the pressure after an isothermic expansion. Z1 needs to be determined based on the compressibility of air and AMZ. Once Z1 is known, the second equation can be solved to get P2 and the pressure exerted by the gas.
El Moriana
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the pressure exerted by a compressible gas (air) after it has expanded out of a cylinder for a simple conceptual design. I'm pretty sure that it's a simple problem, but I'm a little thickheaded atm. Here is my thinking so far:

Due to the compressibility of air, I assume that I cannot use the ideal gas model, hence
P1V1=P2V2 (assuming an isothermic expansion) cannot be used.

Instead, factoring in for compressibility, I get:
P1V1Z1=P2V2Z2 (again assuming isothermic expansion)

I know the cylinder used and expansion chamber and so I know P1, V1 and V2 and can calculate Z1.

This leaves me with two unknowns - P2 and Z2 - but only one equation. How do I get the second equation to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
El Moriana said:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the pressure exerted by a compressible gas (air) after it has expanded out of a cylinder for a simple conceptual design. I'm pretty sure that it's a simple problem, but I'm a little thickheaded atm. Here is my thinking so far:

Due to the compressibility of air, I assume that I cannot use the ideal gas model, hence
P1V1=P2V2 (assuming an isothermic expansion) cannot be used.
Why not? An ideal gas is a gas and all gases can be compressed.

Instead, factoring in for compressibility, I get:
P1V1Z1=P2V2Z2 (again assuming isothermic expansion)
What is Z supposed to represent?

AM

Z is a compressibility factor. It is used to account for a gases behavior when it deviates from the ideal gas model (which uses a Z of unity). Essentially, no gas has a Z of exactly 1, but gases such as air come close enough to so as to be approximated as 1.

You were right, however. I was addle-brained at that time and for some reason I visualized the air acting as a liquid, where pressure changes the volume only slightly (why? I will never know.. *sigh*) and saw Z as the way to compensate for that. The solution was simply to assume air as an ideal gas and us the normal ideal gas equation.

Thanks for replying before and apologies for the late reply and the sub-par question. =)

Related to Expansion of a Compressible Gas

1. What is the definition of expansion of a compressible gas?

The expansion of a compressible gas refers to the increase in volume of a gas when it is subjected to a decrease in pressure.

2. What causes a gas to expand when it is compressed?

According to Boyle's Law, the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional. Therefore, when the pressure on a gas is decreased, the volume increases to maintain a constant temperature.

3. How is the expansion of a compressible gas measured?

The expansion of a compressible gas can be measured using a variety of methods, including using a pressure-volume apparatus or performing calculations based on the initial and final pressure and volume of the gas.

4. What factors can affect the expansion of a compressible gas?

The expansion of a compressible gas can be affected by several factors, including the initial pressure and volume of the gas, the temperature, and the type of gas. Additionally, the presence of impurities or the use of a non-ideal gas equation can also impact the expansion.

5. What are the real-world applications of understanding expansion of compressible gases?

Understanding the expansion of compressible gases is crucial in various fields, including engineering, chemistry, and meteorology. It is used to design and operate systems such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and internal combustion engines. Additionally, it is essential in predicting and analyzing weather patterns.