Expectation of probability density function

In summary, the expected value of a probability density function f(x) is represented by E(X) = \int x f(x) dx. This can be generalized to find the expected value of any function g(x) as E(g(x)) = \int g(x). f(x) dx. When finding E(5 + 10X) from a probability density function, there are two ways to approach it - using linear combination of random variables or using integration. Both methods are correct, but it is important to carefully integrate to avoid mistakes.
songoku
E(X) of probability density function f(x) is [itex]\int x f(x) dx[/itex]

E(X2) of probability density function f(x) is [itex]\int x^2 f(x) dx[/itex]

Can I generalize it to E(g(x)) of probability density function f(x) = [itex]\int g(x). f(x) dx[/itex] ?

I tried to find E(5 + 10X) from pdf. I did two ways:
1. I found E(X) then using linear combination of random variable, E (5 + 10X) = 5 + 10 E(X)

2. Using integration, [itex]\int (5 + 10x) f(x) dx[/itex]

I got two different answers. Which one is correct and why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Can I generalize it to E(g(x)) of probability density function f(x) = [itex]\int g(x). f(x) dx[/itex] ?

I tried to find E(5 + 10X) from pdf. I did two ways:
1. I found E(X) then using linear combination of random variable, E (5 + 10X) = 5 + 10 E(X)

2. Using integration, [itex]\int (5 + 10x) f(x) dx[/itex]

I got two different answers. Which one is correct and why?

Thanks

They are both correct. You must have made a mistake integrating.

songoku said:

Yes. In fact, you could take that to be the definition of the expected value of some function ##g(x)##. Then, ##E(x)## and ##E(x^2)## are specific cases of ##g(x)##.

I re-checked so many times and apparently the mistake was I wrote the question wrongly o:)

Thank you so much perok

Likes Klystron

What is an expectation of probability density function?

The expectation of a probability density function is a measure of the central tendency or average value of a continuous random variable. It represents the long-term average of the random variable, taking into account the probability of each possible outcome.

How is the expectation of probability density function calculated?

The expectation of a probability density function is calculated by taking the integral of the random variable multiplied by its probability density function over the entire range of possible values. This is also known as the mean or first moment of the probability density function.

What is the significance of the expectation of probability density function?

The expectation of a probability density function is an important concept in statistics and probability theory. It provides a measure of the central tendency of a continuous random variable and can be used to make predictions about future outcomes.

How does the expectation of probability density function differ from the expectation of a discrete random variable?

The expectation of a probability density function differs from the expectation of a discrete random variable in that it is calculated using integration instead of summation. This is because continuous random variables can take on an infinite number of values, while discrete random variables can only take on a finite number of values.

Can the expectation of probability density function be negative?

Yes, the expectation of a probability density function can be negative. This can occur if the probability density function is asymmetric and has a large portion of its values on the negative side of the mean. However, in most cases, the expectation of a probability density function is positive or zero.