Expectation value in coherent state

In summary: What do you mean?That's it. That's the summary. The conversation was about using the Zassenhaus formula to solve a problem. You showed how to apply it to get the result. The summary is that you showed how to apply the Zassenhaus formula to get the result.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

In a coherent state ##|\alpha\rangle##, letting ##P(n)## denote the probability of finding ##n^{\text{th}}## harmomic oscillator state. Show that

$$\displaystyle{\langle\hat{n}\rangle \equiv \sum\limits_{n}n\ P(n)=|\alpha|^{2}}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A coherent state ##\alpha\rangle## is defined as ##D(\alpha)|\alpha\rangle = \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)|\alpha\rangle## so that

$$\displaystyle{\langle\hat{n}\rangle \equiv \sum\limits_{n}n\ P(n)= \sum\limits_{n}n\ |\langle n|\alpha\rangle|^{2}}$$

Therefore, it is prudent to evaluate ##|\alpha\rangle## in terms of ##|n\rangle## as follows:

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)|0\rangle}##

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \exp\ (-\alpha^{*}a) \exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger})|0\rangle}##

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \exp\ (-\alpha^{*}a) \bigg(\sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{n'!}(a^{\dagger})^{n'}|0\rangle}\bigg)##

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \exp\ (-\alpha^{*}a) \bigg(\sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{\sqrt{n'!}}|n'\rangle}\bigg)##

##\displaystyle{\langle n|\alpha\rangle = \langle n|\left(\exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \exp\ (-\alpha^{*}a) \sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{\sqrt{n'!}}\right) |n'\rangle}.##

Am I correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)|0\rangle}##

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \exp\ (-\alpha^{*}a) \exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger})|0\rangle}##
OK, so you're using the Zassenhaus formula in this step, but note that the formula can be written in 2 ways. I.e., you could put ##\exp(-\alpha^*a)## on the right and change the sign of the ##|\alpha|^2## exponent. Then, what is $$\exp(-\alpha^*a)|0\rangle $$ ?

strangerep said:
OK, so you're using the Zassenhaus formula in this step, but note that the formula can be written in 2 ways. I.e., you could put ##\exp(-\alpha^*a)## on the right and change the sign of the ##|\alpha|^2## exponent. Then, what is $$\exp(-\alpha^*a)|0\rangle $$ ?

##\displaystyle{\exp(-\alpha^*a)|0\rangle=|0\rangle}##, but then, using Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff, I get

##\displaystyle{\exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)}|0\rangle = \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}) \exp(-\alpha^{*}a) \exp\left(\frac{1}{2}[\alpha a^{\dagger},-\alpha^{*}a]\right)|0\rangle##

##= \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}) \exp(-\alpha^{*}a) \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}|\alpha|^{2}[a^{\dagger},a]\right)|0\rangle##

##= \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}) \exp(-\alpha^{*}a) \exp\left(\frac{1}{2}|\alpha|^{2}\right)|0\rangle##

##= \exp\left(\frac{1}{2}|\alpha|^{2}\right) \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}) \exp(-\alpha^{*}a) |0\rangle##

##= \exp\left(\frac{1}{2}|\alpha|^{2}\right) \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}) |0\rangle,##

when, in fact, I should have

##= \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}|\alpha|^{2}\right) \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}) |0\rangle.##

What am I doing wrong here?

failexam said:
##\displaystyle{\exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)}|0\rangle = \exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}) \exp(-\alpha^{*}a) \exp\left(\frac{1}{2}[\alpha a^{\dagger},-\alpha^{*}a]\right)|0\rangle##
Check the Zassenhaus formula. Shouldn't the 3rd exponent have a minus sign?

(BTW, you can shorten your latex a bit by using just double-dollar, instead of double-hash and \displaystyle.}

strangerep said:
Check the Zassenhaus formula. Shouldn't the 3rd exponent have a minus sign?

(BTW, you can shorten your latex a bit by using just double-dollar, instead of double-hash and \displaystyle.}

Why use the Zassenhaus formula and not the BCH formula?

failexam said:
Why use the Zassenhaus formula and not the BCH formula?
Look up the "Zassenhaus formula" on Wikipedia. It is simply a special case of BCH.

But then the BCH formula says that

$$\exp(A+B)=\exp(A)\exp(B)\exp\left(\frac{1}{2}[A,B]\right)$$

and the Zassenhaus formula says that

$$\exp(t(X+Y))=\exp(tX)\exp(tY)\exp\left(-\frac{t^{2}}{2}[X,Y]\right)$$.

I don't see how the Zassenhaus formula is a special case of the BCH formula, if ##A=tX## and ##B=tY##.

failexam said:
But then the BCH formula says that
$$\exp(A+B)=\exp(A)\exp(B)\exp\left(\frac{1}{2}[A,B]\right)$$
Where are you getting your BCH formula from? There's another form of BCH which looks like this:
$$e^A e^B ~=~ e^{A+B+[A,B]/2 ~+~ \dots} ~.$$

strangerep said:
Where are you getting your BCH formula from? There's another form of BCH which looks like this:
$$e^A e^B ~=~ e^{A+B+[A,B]/2 ~+~ \dots} ~.$$

Sorry, my bad!

How do you prove the Zassenhaus formula from the BCH formula?

failexam said:
Wait. I don't need to see the proof.
Actually, I think you do, at least for the current simple case. In fact that's trivial because we're only dealing here with the case where ##[A,B]## is a c-number (meaning it commutes with everything). So you can factor it out and transfer it across to the other side of the equation.

But, I am not really sure why the Zassenhaus formula can be used in this case. After all, we can't be sure if ##t=\alpha## or if ##t=-\alpha^{*}## in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker–Campbell–Hausdorff_formula#The_Zassenhaus_formula.
The ##t## is a red herring. Just think in terms of A and B (i.e., put ##t=1## in those Wiki formulas). Then put ##A = \alpha a^\dagger##, etc.

Ah, I see! So, I have

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}|\alpha|^{2}\right)\exp\left(\alpha a^{\dagger}\right)\exp\left(-\alpha^{*}a\right)|0\rangle}##

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}|\alpha|^{2}\right)\exp\left(\alpha a^{\dagger}\right)|0\rangle}##

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \bigg(\sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{n'!}(a^{\dagger})^{n'}|0\rangle}\bigg)##

##\displaystyle{|\alpha\rangle = \exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \bigg(\sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{\sqrt{n'!}}|n'\rangle}\bigg)##

##\displaystyle{\langle n|\alpha\rangle = \langle n|\left(\exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{\sqrt{n'!}} |n'\rangle\right)}##

##\displaystyle{= \left(\exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{\sqrt{n'!}} \langle n|n'\rangle\right)}##

##\displaystyle{= \left(\exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \sum\limits_{n'=0}^{\infty} \frac{\alpha^{n'}}{\sqrt{n'!}} \delta_{nn'}\right)}##

##\displaystyle{= \left(\exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \frac{\alpha^{n}}{\sqrt{n!}}\right)},##

which is a Poisson distribution with mean ##|\alpha|^{2}## and ##n## events in each interval so that

##\displaystyle{\langle\hat{n}\rangle \equiv \sum\limits_{n}n\ P(n)}##

##\displaystyle{= \sum\limits_{n}n \left(\exp (-|\alpha|^{2}/2) \frac{\alpha^{n}}{\sqrt{n!}}\right)\left(\exp(-|\alpha|^{2}/2)\frac{{\alpha^{*}}^{n}}{\sqrt{n!}}\right)}##

##\displaystyle{= \sum\limits_{n}n \exp (-|\alpha|^{2}) \frac{|\alpha|^{2n}}{n!}}##

is the mean squared of the Poisson distribution and is equal to ##|\alpha|^{2}##.

What do you think?

It's looking a lot better. Unfortunately, I have to dash out now. I'll try to check it more carefully later.

Related to Expectation value in coherent state

1. What is the definition of expectation value in a coherent state?

The expectation value in a coherent state is the average value that a specific physical quantity, such as position or momentum, would have if the system were in a coherent state. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the coherent state with the corresponding operator, and then normalizing it by dividing by the norm of the coherent state.

2. How is the expectation value in a coherent state different from other states?

The expectation value in a coherent state is unique because it is a complex number with both a real and imaginary component. This is in contrast to other states, which have only real expectation values. Additionally, the expectation value in a coherent state is time-independent, while other states may have time-dependent expectation values.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value in a coherent state in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value in a coherent state plays an important role in quantum mechanics, as it represents the most probable value of a physical quantity in a coherent state. It also allows for the prediction of future measurements of the same physical quantity in the same coherent state, making it a valuable tool in understanding quantum systems.

4. How is the expectation value in a coherent state related to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value in a coherent state is related to the uncertainty principle in that it provides a measure of the spread or uncertainty of a physical quantity in that state. The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, can be simultaneously known. The expectation value in a coherent state can be used to calculate the uncertainty in these quantities.

5. How does the expectation value in a coherent state change with time?

The expectation value in a coherent state is time-independent, meaning that it does not change with time. This is because the coherent state is an eigenstate of the annihilation operator, which means that it is a steady state with a constant expectation value. However, the expectation value in other states may change with time as the system evolves according to the laws of quantum mechanics.