Expectation value of angular momentum

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the expected value of a vector operator, but is stuck because they don't know how to calculate it.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle is under a central potential. Initially its wave function is an eigenfunction ##\psi## such that ##\hat {\vec L ^2} \psi = 2 \hbar ^2## , ##\hat L_3 \psi =0##.
Calculate the expectation value of ##\hat {\vec L}## for all times.

Homework Equations

##\frac{d}{dt}<\hat {\vec L}>=\frac{i}{\hbar } [\hat H , \hat {\vec L}]##.
I get that the quantum numbers of the eigenfunction are ##l=1##, ##m=0##. Not sure if that helps.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relevant equation, I get that ##\frac{d}{dt}<\hat {\vec L}>=0## because H commutes with L because it's a central potential problem. This means that the expectation value of the operator L is constant in time.
So I can calculate it at t=0, and use the information that at ##t=0##, ##\Psi (x,t=0)## is an eigenfunction (of the Hamiltonian but also of L^2 and L_z apparently).
So here's my problem: ##<\hat {\vec L}>(0)=<\psi , \hat {\vec L} \psi>##. I don't know how to calculate this. I've checked in Nouredine Zetilli's book because its said to have many solved problems but I couldn't find a single problem where one have to calculate the expected value of a vector operator such as ##\hat {\vec L}##.
Using intuition I guess I should rewrite that expectation value in terms of the expectation values of L^2 and L_z (=L_3) but I don't know how I could do this.

Here's an attempt: ##\hat {\vec L^2}=L_x^2+L_y^2+L_z^2##.
##\Rightarrow (L_x^2+L_y^2) \psi =2\hbar ^2 \psi##. Stuck here.

Here's another attempt: I want the expectation value of ##<L_x \hat i + L_y \hat j + L_z \hat k>##. I know I can't write this as ##<L_x>+<L_y>+<L_z>##. So I'm stuck here.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
Here's another attempt: I want the expectation value of ##<L_x \hat i + L_y \hat j + L_z \hat k>##. I know I can't write this as ##<L_x>+<L_y>+<L_z>##.

Well, obviously not, since it's a vector :smile:

But you can write it as [itex]\langle L_x \rangle \hat i+ \langle L_y \rangle \hat j + \langle L_z \rangle \hat k[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Oxvillian said:
Well, obviously not, since it's a vector :smile:

But you can write it as [itex]\langle L_x \rangle \hat i+ \langle L_y \rangle \hat j + \langle L_z \rangle \hat k[/itex].

I see thanks, with the last term being equal to 0.
So I am left with ##<\hat {\vec L}>=<L_x>\hat i + <L_y> \hat j##. I'm not sure on how to proceed.

Try expressing ##L_x## and ##L_y## in terms of ladder operators.

Oxvillian said:
Try expressing ##L_x## and ##L_y## in terms of ladder operators.
Oh right...
##L_x \psi =L_x |1,0>=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt 2} (|1,1>+|1,-1>)##. Similarly ##L_y=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt 2 i}(|1,1>+|1,-1>)##.
Then if the relation ##<L_x>=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt 2}(<|1,1>>+<|1,-1>>)## is true, then ##<L_x>=0## and ##<L_y>=0##.

This would make that ##<\hat { \vec L}>(t)=0 \hat i + 0 \hat j + 0 \hat k##.
So I am learning that the expectation value of a "vector operator" is actually a vector... I would have thought that the expectation value of anything would be a scalar!

What is the expectation value of angular momentum?

The expectation value of angular momentum is a measure of the average value of the angular momentum of a quantum particle in a given state. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the angular momentum operator and the wave function representing the state.

How is the expectation value of angular momentum related to uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of angular momentum is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the minimum possible uncertainty in the measurement of the angular momentum of a particle in a given state. This means that the more accurately the angular momentum is measured, the less certain we can be about its position and vice versa.

What is the significance of calculating the expectation value of angular momentum?

The expectation value of angular momentum is important in quantum mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum particles. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different quantum states and how they affect the angular momentum of a particle.

Can the expectation value of angular momentum be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of angular momentum can be negative. This occurs when the wave function of the particle is asymmetric, resulting in a negative average value for angular momentum. However, the magnitude of the angular momentum is still positive.

How does the expectation value of angular momentum change with time?

The expectation value of angular momentum can change with time if the particle is in a state that is not an eigenstate of the angular momentum operator. In this case, the expectation value may oscillate or evolve over time, reflecting the changing behavior of the particle.