Expectation value of spin 1/2 particles along different axes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expectation value for a two spin 1/2 particle system in the singlet state, |00>, and the relationship between the z component of spin angular momentum for particle 1 and the component of spin angular momentum along an axis denoted by the unit vector \hat{n} for particle 2. Different approaches are explored, including taking ## \vec{S}_{2n} = \hat{n} \cdot \vec{S}_2 ## and expanding the state vectors for particle 2 in the eigenbasis for S_{n2}. Ultimately, the correct relation is found to be ## \langle S_{z1} S_{n2} \rangle = -\frac{\hbar
DiogenesTorch

Homework Statement

Show that for a two spin 1/2 particle system, the expectation value is [itex]\langle S_{z1} S_{n2} \rangle = -\frac{\hbar^2}{4}\cos \theta[/itex] when the system is prepared to be in the singlet state [itex]|00\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow\rangle|\downarrow\rangle-|\downarrow\rangle|\uparrow\rangle\right)[/itex].

Matrix [itex]S_{z1}[/itex] returns the z component of the spin angular momentum for particle 1. For particle 2 the matrix [itex]S_{n2}[/itex] gives the component of spin angular momentum along an axis denoted by the unit vector [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]. where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the z-axis and [itex]\hat{n}[/itex].

Homework Equations

My first guess was there must be some relation between [itex]S_{z1}[/itex] and [itex]S_{n2}[/itex] to get the required relation. I got the right answer but after thinking about it I think I got the right answer with entirely erroneous assumptions. See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to state that a measurement of both particles' z component would return [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] or [itex]-\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]. For particle 1, I stated.

[tex]
S_{z1}=\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1& 0 \\0&-1\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Then I basically argued that for particle 2, the component along [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] would just be the projection of particle 2's z-component projected onto [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] and thus
[tex]
S_{n2}=\frac{\hbar}{2}\cos \theta \begin{pmatrix}1& 0 \\0&-1\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

It gives the right answer when I do the expectation value
[tex]
\langle S_{z1}S_{n2} \rangle =\langle 0 0|S_{z1}S_{n2}|0 0\rangle\\
=-\frac{\hbar^2}{4} \cos \theta\\
[/tex]

But I got to thinking, when you make a measurement along any axis, shouldn't it always return either [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] or [itex]-\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] and thus the matrix [itex]S_{n2}[/itex] should be the same eigenvalues as [itex]S_{z1}[/itex]? Thus
[tex]
S_{n2}=\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1& 0 \\0&-1\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

So now I am at a total loss on how to find the correct relation. Would it instead be plausible to argue that the state vectors for particle 2, as expressed in the singlet state, have to be expanded in the eigenbasis for [itex]S_{n2}[/itex]? Then you do the do the expectation value calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiogenesTorch said:

Homework Statement

Show that for a two spin 1/2 particle system, the expectation value is [itex]\langle S_{z1} S_{n2} \rangle = -\frac{\hbar^2}{4}\cos \theta[/itex] when the system is prepared to be in the singlet state [itex]|00\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow\rangle|\downarrow\rangle-|\downarrow\rangle|\uparrow\rangle\right)[/itex].

Matrix [itex]S_{z1}[/itex] returns the z component of the spin angular momentum for particle 1. For particle 2 the matrix [itex]S_{n2}[/itex] gives the component of spin angular momentum along an axis denoted by the unit vector [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]. where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the z-axis and [itex]\hat{n}[/itex].

Homework Equations

My first guess was there must be some relation between [itex]S_{z1}[/itex] and [itex]S_{n2}[/itex] to get the required relation. I got the right answer but after thinking about it I think I got the right answer with entirely erroneous assumptions. See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to state that a measurement of both particles' z component would return [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] or [itex]-\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]. For particle 1, I stated.

[tex]
S_{z1}=\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1& 0 \\0&-1\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Then I basically argued that for particle 2, the component along [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] would just be the projection of particle 2's z-component projected onto [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] and thus
[tex]
[/tex]

It gives the right answer when I do the expectation value
[tex]
\langle S_{z1}S_{n2} \rangle =\langle 0 0|S_{z1}S_{n2}|0 0\rangle\\
=-\frac{\hbar^2}{4} \cos \theta\\
[/tex]

But I got to thinking, when you make a measurement along any axis, shouldn't it always return either [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] or [itex]-\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] and thus the matrix [itex]S_{n2}[/itex] should be the same eigenvalues as [itex]S_{z1}[/itex]? Thus
[tex]
S_{n2}=\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1& 0 \\0&-1\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

So now I am at a total loss on how to find the correct relation. Would it instead be plausible to argue that the state vectors for particle 2, as expressed in the singlet state, have to be expanded in the eigenbasis for [itex]S_{n2}[/itex]? Then you do the do the expectation value calculation?
Have you tried taking ## \vec{S}_{2n} = \hat{n} \cdot \vec{S}_2 ##?

DiogenesTorch said:
[tex]
[/tex]
What if [itex]\hat{n} = \hat{x}[/itex]? Does that equation give you back ##S_x##?

1. What is the expectation value of spin 1/2 particles along the x-axis?

The expectation value of spin 1/2 particles along the x-axis is equal to zero. This means that on average, the spin of these particles will point in a direction perpendicular to the x-axis, with an equal chance of being either up or down.

2. How is the expectation value of spin 1/2 particles along the y-axis calculated?

The expectation value of spin 1/2 particles along the y-axis is calculated by taking the dot product of the spin operator with the wave function of the particle. This value will be either positive or negative, indicating the direction in which the spin is pointing along the y-axis.

3. Can the expectation value of spin 1/2 particles along the z-axis be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of spin 1/2 particles along the z-axis can be negative. This means that on average, the spin of these particles will point in a direction opposite to the z-axis, with a higher probability of being down than up.

4. How does the expectation value of spin 1/2 particles change when measured along different axes?

The expectation value of spin 1/2 particles can change when measured along different axes because the spin operator and wave function will have different values for each axis. This results in a different dot product and therefore a different expectation value.

5. What is the significance of the expectation value of spin 1/2 particles?

The expectation value of spin 1/2 particles is significant because it represents the average value of the spin of these particles when measured along a specific axis. This value can provide insight into the behavior and properties of these particles in quantum systems.