Experiment, due tonight, 12AM.

• Thread starter yulia7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation involves someone needing help with an experiment involving a tuning fork. They misplaced their tuning fork and are looking for assistance in answering some questions. The questions involve striking the tuning fork against a table and touching it to various surfaces, holding it close to the ear while rotating it, and using a cardboard strip to make the sound louder. The person speaking is unable to find a tuning fork at the moment, but is willing to try and answer the questions with help. They specifically need help explaining why the sound becomes louder when holding the tuning fork near a hole in the cardboard.
yulia7

Homework Statement

I need to do an experiment with a tuning fork and here are some questions that I need to answer. The problem is: I misplaced the tuning fork and can't answer the questions. Please help!
Tuning Fork
Take a tuning fork and
(a) strike it against the edge of a table. While it is vibrating, touch the bottom
end to a variety of surfaces. Explain what you hear.
(b) Hold the fork close to your ear while it is vibrating and slowly rotate the
tuning fork. Describe and explain what you hear.
(d) In a piece of cardboard or construction paper, cut a strip out about half an inch wide and approximately the length of a tine of the tuning fork. Strike the tuning fork again and hold it near the hole in the cardboard. The sound becomes louder. Why?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, where do you live? We'll see if there's someone close by who has a tuning fork they can lend you.

Or, try to answer the questions best you can from what you know. We may be able to help.

Either way, we are forbidden to do your homework for you.

ok, its 11pm here, I doubt that I may find a fork anywhere now... but I will try to answer the questions. I definitely need help on explanation for the last question...please advise why it becomes louder, or suggest a link where I could find the answer please!

1. What is an experiment?

An experiment is a scientific procedure carried out to test a hypothesis or to investigate a phenomenon. It involves manipulating one or more variables and observing the effects on the outcome variable.

2. Why is this experiment due tonight at 12AM?

The deadline for this experiment is set for tonight at 12AM in order to ensure that all data is collected and analyzed in a timely manner. This allows for accurate and efficient reporting of the results.

3. What happens if I miss the deadline for the experiment?

If the deadline for the experiment is missed, it may not be possible to include your data in the final analysis. This could potentially affect the overall findings and conclusions of the experiment.

4. Can I collaborate with others on this experiment?

In most cases, collaboration is encouraged in scientific experiments. However, it is important to ensure that all contributions are properly acknowledged and that the experiment is carried out in an ethical manner.

5. What is the importance of conducting experiments in the scientific process?

Experiments are essential in the scientific process as they allow for the testing of hypotheses and the collection of data to support or reject them. They also allow for the replication of results and the advancement of scientific knowledge.