Experiment: my like charges didn't repel

In summary, the individual is conducting an experiment with a battery-powered device that outputs 5kV DC. They connected two long pieces of aluminum foil to the output leads, expecting a repulsion effect. However, the foils were attracted to each other instead. The individual then considered the weight of the foil and the possibility that it was too massive for the experiment to show a noticeable effect. They were advised to research capacitance formulae and calculate the charge on the leaves, which would likely not be enough to overcome the Earth's gravitational field and cause a noticeable deflection.
iScience
i had a battery powered device that outputted 5kV DC . i hooked up one of the output leads to two long pieces of Al foil. i was expecting a repulsion but nothing happened, why? is the voltage not high enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
A few more details might help --- are you arranging the foil as the leaves in a leaf electrometer? Or, just hanging off a terminal of the power supply? What's the configuration of your "ground plane?" (What's connected to the other terminal to "shape" the electric field?)

previous setup
QyOOXNe.png

----------------------------------

i hooked up each foil to the opposite ends of the device and the foils were attracted to each other, which is good news but i was going for a repulsive effect. charge should be accumulating at the ends of both terminals of the device so i figured either end should have half the amount of ΔV.
anyway, in the first setup (image), i didn't notice the foils moving at all and i don't know why.

How heavy is the foil?

judging from your reply i take it the foils should have repelled, they were probably just too massive?

That would be my guess --- hit Wiki, or Google around a bit for capacitance formulae, and you'll find the capacitance between your leaves and the ground plane is going to be in the neighborhood of hundredths of picofarads, times the 5kV is a charge of a few picocoulombs on the leaves; split that charge, tuck it into coulomb repulsion, and it's not going to be enough to noticeably deflect the leaves from each other in the Earth's gravitational field. The foil wrap that used to be on Nestles bars was around 0.0005" and just barely moved for carpet static on a nice dry winter day.

1. Why didn't my like charges repel during the experiment?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there was a malfunction in the equipment used, such as a weak power source or faulty wires. Another possibility is that the distance between the charges was not great enough for a noticeable repulsion. It is also important to ensure that the charges used are of the same magnitude and polarity.

2. Can the results of this experiment be replicated?

Yes, the results of this experiment can be replicated. However, it is important to carefully follow the same procedure and use the same materials and equipment to ensure accurate results.

3. What other factors could affect the repulsion of like charges?

Aside from distance and magnitude, other factors that could affect the repulsion of like charges include the material of the charges (conductors vs. insulators), the presence of external electrical fields, and the temperature of the environment.

4. How can I increase the repulsion between like charges?

The repulsion between like charges can be increased by increasing the distance between them, increasing the magnitude of the charges, and ensuring that the charges are of the same polarity. Additionally, using materials that are good conductors and decreasing the temperature can also help increase the repulsion.

5. What other experiments can I do with like charges?

There are many other experiments that can be done with like charges, such as testing the effect of different materials on the repulsion, comparing the repulsion of like charges to that of opposite charges, and exploring the relationship between distance and repulsion. You can also try using different types of charges, such as balloons or Van de Graaff generators, to observe the repulsion.