Experimental determination of the moment inertia of a sphere

In summary, the sphere will roll down an inclined plane at a constant speed and the moment of inertia will be approximately 2/5 the mass of the sphere and the radius.
Dimitris Papadim
Hello, I was recently given the task to find experimentally the moment inertia of a sphere. I thought of rolling the sphere down an inclined plane and applying conservation of energy to the sphere. The equations i came up with are: mgh = 1/2mv2 + 1/2Iω2 solving for v^2 we come up with the equation:
v2 = (2mgR2h)/(mR2+ I) now if we plot v2(h) we come up with a straight line through the origin and (2mgR^2)/(mR^2+ I)should be its slope. solving for I we come up with I = mR2/k(2g-k) where k is the gradient. Now if we equate this with 2/5 mR2 which is the mathematical formula for the moment inertia of the sphere we should come up with the same result, but the mass and radius cancel. This makes no sense. Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimitris Papadim said:
we come up with I = mR2/k(2g-k)
I don't get that result. I get ##\frac{mR^2(2g-km)}k##, which is ##mR^2(2g/k-m)##.
Dimitris Papadim said:
Now if we equate this with 2/5 mR2 which is the mathematical formula for the moment inertia of the sphere we should come up with the same result, but the mass and radius cancel.
That doesn't matter. Our task is not to equate our empirical formula to the theoretical formula and solve for something. It is to calculate the value given by the empirical formula and compare it to that given by the theoretical formula. So let's not cancel anything at that stage, instead do the following:

You will have observed values of m, R, g and k, so you can calculate the value of ##mR^2(2g/k-m)##, which is an estimate of I. If the sphere is solid with uniform density and the experiment was accurate, that should give a number that is approximately ##\frac25 mR^2##. In other words, ##2g/k-m## should be approximately 2/5.

Thank you very much!

1. What is the purpose of determining the moment of inertia of a sphere experimentally?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is a physical property that describes how resistant an object is to changes in its rotational motion. By determining this value experimentally, we can better understand the behavior and stability of a sphere when it is subjected to rotational forces.

2. What equipment is needed to conduct an experimental determination of the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The equipment needed for this experiment includes a sphere, a rigid support, a string, a stopwatch, and a measuring ruler. Optional equipment may include a rotary motion sensor and a computer for data collection and analysis.

3. How is the moment of inertia of a sphere measured in this experiment?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is measured by hanging the sphere from a string attached to a rigid support, and then allowing it to oscillate back and forth like a pendulum. By measuring the period of oscillation and knowing the other variables involved, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the equation I = (mL2)/4π2, where m is the mass of the sphere and L is the length of the string.

4. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment may include air resistance, friction in the support or string, and human error in measuring the period and length of the string. Using a larger and more massive sphere can help minimize the effects of these errors.

5. How can the results of this experiment be used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is an important physical property that has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to design and optimize rotational systems, such as gyroscopes and flywheels, and to analyze the motion and stability of objects in various sports, such as bowling and golf.