Moment of Inertia of a sphere with different methods

In summary: The parts closer to the axis contribute less to the moment than the parts farther from the axis. Summing up the moments of all the dm's gives you the final answer of (m r^2)/2.
KastorPhys
Hi everyone, I am trying to find out the Moment of Inertia of a sphere which is all known to be
2/5(m)(r^2)
I calculate this in 2 ways.
One by triple integration and one by disk method.
From the textbooks, moment of inertia should be in the form,
dI = (r^2) dm,
However, the textbook, University Physics, propose the method of disk by suming up,
dI = 1/2 (r^2) dm, which is the I of a extremely thin disk. It sounds logical.
However, I just think in a way that the equation,
dI = (r^2) dm,
must be suitable for any situations.
Thus, in the 2 ways, I just start by this and found that the triple integration way gives the right answer. But the disk method way just provide a doubled result.
Can anyone try me why this is happened?
Why, in the disk method, we should think in the way that suming up the dI of all thin disks, but not just start from the original equation, then
dm = (ro) dV = (ro) (pi) (r^2) dz
Treating the dV as the volume of a thin disk and add them up?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 530
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
Its easy if you taking thin hemispherical shells inside the sphere instead of taking disks.

Think of a semicircle ##y=\sqrt{r^2-x^2}## in the ##xy## plane of a Cartesian coordinate system. Then you can think of the sphere as the body swept out by rotating this semicircle around the ##x## axis. From the result you've given I assume that (a) you want the moment of inertia around a diameter of the sphere (you must always tell the rotation axis for which you want to calculate the moment of inertia) and that (b) the mass distribution of the sphere is homogeneous.

Now for ##\mathrm{d}m## you can use infinitesimal zylinders, given by some ##\mathrm{d} x## in the above "construction" of the sphere as a rotating body around each ##x \in (-r,r)##.

To proceed further we need the moment of inertia for an infinitesimally thin homogeneous disk of radius ##\rho## around an axis perpendicular to it going through its center. This is easy, because for that disk your
$$\mathrm{d} m = \frac{m}{\pi \rho^2} \rho \mathrm{d} \rho \mathrm{d} \varphi.$$
So we have
$$I_{\text{disk}}=\frac{m}{\pi \rho^2} \int_{0}^{\mathrm{\rho}} \mathrm{d} \rho' \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi \rho'^3 = \frac{m}{\pi \rho^2} 2 \pi \frac{\rho^4}{4} = \frac{m}{2} \rho^2.$$
Now back to the sphere. You just have to add up all the infinitesimal disks to get the total moment of inertia.

The mass ##\mathrm{d}m## of the disk around ##x## is
$$\mathrm{d} m=\frac{m}{4 \pi r^3/3} \mathrm{d} x \pi \rho^2=\frac{3m}{4 r^3} \mathrm{d} x (r^2-x^2),$$
since the radius of this disk is given by ##\rho=\sqrt{r^2-x^2}##. So the moment of inertia of the sphere is
$$I_{\text{sphere}}=\int_{x=-r}^{x=r} \frac{\mathrm{d} m}{2} (r^2-x^2)=\frac{3m}{8r^3} \int_{-r}^r \mathrm{d} x (r^2-x^2)^2=\frac{2mr^2}{5}.$$

KastorPhys said:
Hi everyone, I am trying to find out the Moment of Inertia of a sphere which is all known to be
2/5(m)(r^2)
I calculate this in 2 ways.
One by triple integration and one by disk method.
From the textbooks, moment of inertia should be in the form,
dI = (r^2) dm,
However, the textbook, University Physics, propose the method of disk by suming up,
dI = 1/2 (r^2) dm, which is the I of a extremely thin disk. It sounds logical.
However, I just think in a way that the equation,
dI = (r^2) dm,
must be suitable for any situations.
Thus, in the 2 ways, I just start by this and found that the triple integration way gives the right answer. But the disk method way just provide a doubled result.
Can anyone try me why this is happened?
Why, in the disk method, we should think in the way that suming up the dI of all thin disks, but not just start from the original equation, then
dm = (ro) dV = (ro) (pi) (r^2) dz
Treating the dV as the volume of a thin disk and add them up?
Thanks!
The result is double when you use disks because you used the wrong formula for the moment of inertia of these tiny disks.
The moment of a disk is 1/2mr^2 and not mr^2.
If you take a infinitely thin disk, of mass dm, the moment of inertia is still (dm r^2)/2 where r is the radius of the disk. This is so because not all the parts of the disk are at the distance r from the axis.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution of the sphere and the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a sphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be calculated using different methods, such as the parallel axis theorem, the perpendicular axis theorem, or the integration method. Each method takes into account the mass distribution of the sphere and the axis of rotation to determine the moment of inertia.

3. What is the parallel axis theorem and how does it relate to the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of a body about any axis parallel to its centroidal axis is equal to the moment of inertia about its centroidal axis plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two axes. This theorem is often used to calculate the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis that does not pass through its center.

4. How does the mass distribution of a sphere affect its moment of inertia?

The mass distribution of a sphere plays a crucial role in determining its moment of inertia. A sphere with a concentrated mass at its center will have a different moment of inertia compared to a sphere with a more spread out mass distribution. This is because the mass distribution affects the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation, which is a key factor in calculating the moment of inertia.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a sphere be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a sphere can be changed by altering its mass distribution or the axis of rotation. For example, if the mass of a sphere is moved away from its center, the moment of inertia will increase. Similarly, changing the axis of rotation can also affect the moment of inertia of a sphere.