Experimental realizatoin of sequential Stern-Gerlach's

• I
  • Thread starter nicholas_eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experimental
In summary, the conversation was about the strange results of sequential Stern-Gerlach experiments in quantum mechanics and the difficulty of performing them in practice due to the "no dynamic evolution" principle. The person was looking for articles on experimental realizations of these experiments. It was mentioned that polarized neutrons have been used in some experiments, but that photons are often preferred due to their ability to be easily manipulated without causing decoherence.
nicholas_eng
TL;DR Summary
Looking for articles of experimental realizations of sequential Stern-Gerlach experiments
So, an usual introduction to Quantum Mechanics (like the one given by Sakurai) is to refer to sequential Stern-Gerlach (SG) experiments. For example, a first one aligned to the z axis, a second one aligned to the x axis, and a third one aligned to the z axis again (with no relevant dynamical evolution happening in between). The fact that the first and third SG's may give different results leads us to believe in all the quantum weirdness encapsulated by the non-commutation relations for those observables.

There are some details about such experiment that I'm curious to understand a little better. In particular, the way the SG experiment works, is that it deflects into different directions particles with different values for the corresponding spin component. So if I want to plug one of the outgoing beams into a new SG, I should position this second SG in a position where it intercepts that beam, right?. I can't just "realign" the beam (e.g. by using E.M. field to compensate the deflection) because that would violate the "no dynamic evolution" principle, such E.M. field would have a non-trivial effect on the spin state anyway. Is this assessment correct, and is that something taken into consideration in actual realizations of this experiment?

I would love if someone could point me articles like that, as I'm sure there must be many.

Physics news on Phys.org
nicholas_eng said:
Summary:: Looking for articles of experimental realizations of sequential Stern-Gerlach experiments
I assumed that the sequential SG is a thought experiment and practically almost impossible.

There are some experiments with polarized neutrons, e.g.,

J.E. Sherwood et al, Stern-Gerlach Experiment on Polarized Neutrons, Phys. Rev. 96, 1546 (1954)
https://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/10.1103/PhysRev.96.1546

T. J. L. Jones, W. G. Williams, A Stern-Gerlach polarimeter for cold neutrons, J. Phys. E 13, 227 (1980)
https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3735/13/2/025

O. Zimmer, J. Felber and O. Schärpf, Stern-Gerlach effect without magnetic-field gradient, EPL 53 183
https://doi.org/10.1209/epl/i2001-00134-y

Likes nicholas_eng and PeroK
nicholas_eng said:
if I want to plug one of the outgoing beams into a new SG, I should position this second SG in a position where it intercepts that beam, right?. I can't just "realign" the beam (e.g. by using E.M. field to compensate the deflection) because that would violate the "no dynamic evolution" principle, such E.M. field would have a non-trivial effect on the spin state anyway. Is this assessment correct

Basically, yes. Your assessment also illustrates why most experiments involving spin and entanglement are done with photons instead of electrons. :wink: The nice thing about photons is that you can "realign" beams of them with simple mirrors, without violating the "no dynamic evolution" principle. That makes it much easier to implement multiple interactions in series on photon beams.

Likes vanhees71
Of course the action of a mirror on a photon is through interactions between charges making up the mirror and the photon (em. field). The point is, it's described by a unitary evolution (making the mirror of high quality, i.e., with very little absorption), changing the polarization of the photon in a well-determined way. In other words it's easy to manipulate photons in controlled ways using usual optical elements (mirrors, beam splitters, polarizers) without causing (too much) "decoherence".

1. What is the purpose of experimental realization of sequential Stern-Gerlach's?

The purpose of experimental realization of sequential Stern-Gerlach's is to observe and study the behavior of particles in a magnetic field. This experiment helps to understand the principles of quantum mechanics and the concept of spin in subatomic particles.

2. How does the experimental setup for sequential Stern-Gerlach's work?

The experimental setup for sequential Stern-Gerlach's involves passing a beam of particles through a series of magnetic fields that are oriented in different directions. The particles' spin will cause them to deflect in different directions, which can be observed and measured.

3. What are the key components of the experimental setup for sequential Stern-Gerlach's?

The key components of the experimental setup for sequential Stern-Gerlach's include a particle source, a series of magnets with varying orientations, and a detector to measure the deflection of particles.

4. What are the applications of sequential Stern-Gerlach's in scientific research?

Sequential Stern-Gerlach's has various applications in scientific research, including studying the properties of subatomic particles, investigating quantum entanglement, and developing new technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. What are the limitations of experimental realization of sequential Stern-Gerlach's?

One of the limitations of experimental realization of sequential Stern-Gerlach's is that it can only be applied to particles with a magnetic moment, such as electrons and protons. Additionally, the experiment may be affected by external factors such as temperature and magnetic field strength, which can impact the accuracy of the results.