Experimentally finding focal length of small biconvex lens?

In summary, you fabricated a bi-convex lens and are trying to find its focal length. You have found that three beams surpass the diameter of the lens, so using two beams should be sufficient.
Rachelrific
I have fabricated a few biconvex lens (12mm diameter) for an experiment and am trying to find their focal lengths. My though is to set up three parallel lasers and find where the beams converge. However, even with the smallest laser diodes I could find, three beams surpass the diameter of the lens. Would two beams be sufficient? Or does anyone have an alternative method of experimentally finding the focal length of small biconvex lens?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rachelrific said:
experimentally finding the focal length of small biconvex lens
1) Take the lens and a piece of white paper out in direct sunlight.
2) Focus the Sun on the paper by varying the lens-to-paper distance.
3) When in focus, the distance from the lens to the paper is the focal length.

Likes Drakkith
Well done fabricating your lens - that is no mean feat. (I do this for a living - contact lenses are concave/convex lenses about 14 mm in diameter).

What radius did you intend to make back and front? And what is it made of, glass or acrylic/perspex?

Tom.G said:
1) Take the lens and a piece of white paper out in direct sunlight.
2) Focus the Sun on the paper by varying the lens-to-paper distance.
3) When in focus, the distance from the lens to the paper is the focal length.
Would this work with a far away light source indoors, like a bright lamp across the room? There's a liquid component to my lens and I don't want it to freeze outside.

Bandit127 said:
Well done fabricating your lens - that is no mean feat. (I do this for a living - contact lenses are concave/convex lenses about 14 mm in diameter).

What radius did you intend to make back and front? And what is it made of, glass or acrylic/perspex?
Should be around -3 diopters. I made them out of acrylic (CNC'ed then heavily polished).

Rachelrific said:
Would this work with a far away light source indoors, like a bright lamp across the room? There's a liquid component to my lens and I don't want it to freeze outside.
Yeah, that should work. You can calculate the error introduced by the finite distance to the light source to see if it's acceptable to you.

Rachelrific said:
Should be around -3 diopters. I made them out of acrylic (CNC'ed then heavily polished).
If you are working in dioptres then your friendly optician/optometrist will be have exactly the right instrument to measure the power of your lens. They will also be able to assess the quality of the focus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensmeter

(If your lens is bi-convex it will have a plus power BTW).

Well done polishing it too - it is a tricky process and there is definitely an art to it.

As long as your source distance is greater then 10x the focal length, a direct measurement will be as good as your ability to measure.

1. What is the purpose of experimentally finding the focal length of a small biconvex lens?

The focal length of a lens is an important parameter that determines its ability to focus light. Therefore, experimentally finding the focal length of a small biconvex lens helps in understanding its optical properties and performance.

2. What materials and equipment are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a small biconvex lens, a light source (such as a laser or light bulb), a screen or white paper, a ruler, and a clamp or stand to hold the lens and screen in place.

3. What is the procedure for experimentally finding the focal length of a small biconvex lens?

The procedure involves setting up the materials and equipment in a dark room, placing the lens between the light source and screen, adjusting the distance between the lens and screen until a sharp image is formed, and measuring the distance between the lens and screen. This distance represents the focal length of the lens.

4. How many trials should be conducted for accurate results?

It is recommended to conduct at least three trials and take the average of the results for more accurate measurements. This will also help in identifying any inconsistencies in the measurements and improving the overall accuracy of the results.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include human error in measuring distances and aligning the lens and screen, variations in the light source and intensity, and imperfections in the lens itself. It is important to minimize these errors by carefully following the procedure and conducting multiple trials.