Experiments with diatomic molecules

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for new physics experiments involving diatomic molecules that were previously considered unrealistic but may now be possible with current technology. The topic of time varying Schiff moments and the use of radioactive molecules was mentioned, as well as the search for interactions that mix isomers in chiral molecules. The conversation also noted that many experiments in this field are inspired by successful atomic experiments.
kelly0303
Hello! I was wondering if there are papers presenting ideas of experiments (ideally searching for new physics, but not only) involving diatomic molecules, that were quite out of reach when they were published but we might have the technology to implement them with the current technology (or in the near future). For example I came across this paper, which talks about time varying Schiff moments and the advantage of using radioactive molecules. This was published in 2011 but last year RaF spectra was measured, so doing that kind of experiment using a radioactive molecule might not be that far away. I would really appreciate if people can point me towards similar papers that not many talked about as they seemed too unrealistic when they were published. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of many of these that are unique to molecules. For example, eEDM started in atomic Hg, the Sr2 molecular clock at Columbia was (I suspect) inspired by JILA's very successful atomic Sr clock, and all the quantum information/simulation stuff (KRb, CaF in tweezers, etc) was inspired by a long tradition of atomic experiments. More often than not, you can start by looking for atomic experiments that would benefit from the charaxteristics of molecules.

One molecule-specific example is the physics of chirality, specifically looking for interactions that mix isomers. Essentially do a Ramsey or Rabi measurement of the precession rate from left handed to right handed molecules due to P-violating physics. I know of two groups working on this, but results could be a decade away.

1. What are diatomic molecules?

Diatomic molecules are molecules composed of two atoms of the same or different elements bonded together. Examples include oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and hydrogen chloride (HCl).

2. Why are experiments with diatomic molecules important?

Experiments with diatomic molecules are important because they provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties and behavior of matter. They also have practical applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and environmental science.

3. How are diatomic molecules studied in experiments?

Diatomic molecules are studied using a variety of experimental techniques, including spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and molecular beam experiments. These techniques allow scientists to observe and measure the properties and behavior of diatomic molecules at the atomic level.

4. What can we learn from experiments with diatomic molecules?

Experiments with diatomic molecules can provide information about the electronic structure, chemical bonding, and physical properties of these molecules. They can also help us understand the role of diatomic molecules in chemical reactions and their impact on the environment.

5. What are some current areas of research in experiments with diatomic molecules?

Current areas of research in experiments with diatomic molecules include studying the behavior of diatomic molecules in extreme environments, such as in outer space or at high pressures and temperatures. Scientists are also exploring new ways to control and manipulate diatomic molecules for potential applications in technology and medicine.