Explain delayed choice quantum eraser without consciousness

In summary, the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment suggests that the interference of photons is dependent on whether or not "which-path" information is made unknowable to the experimenter. This does not require a conscious observer, as it can be achieved through electronic circuitry. Various interpretations, such as Consistent Histories, offer explanations for this phenomenon, but ultimately it demonstrates decoherence in reversible systems.
burke142
I'm trying to understand the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment without consciousness.

As I understand it, photons will either interfere or not depending on whether or not "which-path" information is randomly hidden and rendered unkowable to the experimenter. That is, rather the by any particular detector interaction.

I have racked my brain for a physical explanation as to why obsfuscating the path info would collapse the wave function without relying on what is "knowable" to a conscious observer.

All my attempts invoke circular reasoning.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
burke142 said:
As I understand it, photons will either interfere or not depending on whether or not "which-path" information is randomly hidden and rendered unkowable to the experimenter. That is, rather the by any particular detector interaction.

If you look at the detailed description of the experiment here you'll see that there is no conscious observer involved at all. There's just a chunk of electronic circuitry (the "coincidence counter") processing the signals on the wires connected to it. It runs just fine and does exactly the same thing whether anyone looks at it or not.

Its been discussed many times on this forum eg:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/resolution-to-the-delayed-choice-quantum-eraser.320334/

As Dymystifyer said its best yo analyse it in some actual interpretational framework. For example here is Consistent Histories take:
http://quantum.phys.cmu.edu/CQT/chaps/cqt20.pdf

Rock bottom though is it simply demonstrates decoherence in reversible is simple cases:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...and-the-delayed-choice-quantum-eraser.623648/

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

1. What is the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment is a thought experiment in quantum physics that explores the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level. It involves a double-slit experiment, where a single particle is sent through two slits and creates an interference pattern, but is then retroactively measured to see which slit it went through.

2. How does the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment work?

In the experiment, a beam splitter is used to split a photon into two entangled particles. One particle goes through a double-slit and creates an interference pattern, while the other goes through a detector that records which slit the particle went through. The key aspect of the experiment is that the measurement of the particle's path can be delayed until after the interference pattern is observed.

3. What is the role of consciousness in the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment does not require consciousness to work. The experiment can be explained using the principles of quantum mechanics and does not involve any conscious observation or measurement by an observer. The results of the experiment can be predicted and observed without any human intervention.

4. What are the implications of the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment challenges our understanding of cause and effect, as it suggests that measurements made in the present can affect events that have already happened in the past. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation in shaping it. The experiment has important implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. How is the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment relevant to modern science?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment is relevant to modern science as it helps us to better understand the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has also been used to test and validate various theories in quantum mechanics. The experiment continues to be studied and has led to new discoveries and advancements in the field of quantum physics.