Explain this terminology Steel Cord?

In summary, steel cord is a term used in the tire industry to refer to the steel reinforcement within tires. It is essentially steel wire or cable. The term may have originated from the time when tires were reinforced with non-steel materials, and the tradition of calling it "cord" remained even when steel was used. Skim compound, on the other hand, is a term used to describe a type of filler material used in the production of rubber products, such as tires. Additional resources, such as pictures, Wikipedia, and professional articles/dictionaries, may be helpful in understanding these terms further.
Alex_Sanders
What do people in the industry usually mean by steel cord? Is it the same as steel wire, steel rope?

Pictures, Wiki, professional article/dictionary would be appreciated. I googled it but the results are still quite too blurry.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm guessing you're talking about wire rope. I've never heard it called "steel cord" -- in my experience, it's usually referred to as "steel cable".

Steel cord is a term often used in reference to the steel reinforcement in tires. The reinforcement is basically steel wire or cable as indicated here:
http://www.arcelormittal.com/distributionsolutions/wiresolutions/steelcord/steel_cord

I think the only reason the term cord is used instead of wire or cable is simply a matter of industry terminology and historic usage. I'd guess that it came from the time when tires were reinforced with cord or rope type materials that were made of anything BUT steel, so when steel started being used to replace cord in tires, the tradition of calling it 'cord' remained.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks guys, esp. Q_Goest, thanks for the link.

No one from the industry with a definitive answer? May be I got wait for some while more...

Also, what's skim compound?

Related to Explain this terminology Steel Cord?

1. What is steel cord?

Steel cord is a type of reinforcement material used in the manufacturing of tires, conveyor belts, and other rubber products. It is made up of several steel wires twisted together to form a strong and flexible cord.

2. How is steel cord different from other reinforcement materials?

Steel cord is known for its high tensile strength, which means it can withstand heavy loads without breaking. It is also resistant to corrosion, making it a durable choice for applications that require long-term use.

3. What are the advantages of using steel cord in rubber products?

Steel cord provides excellent reinforcement for rubber products, making them stronger and more durable. It also helps to improve the overall performance of the product, such as increasing its load-bearing capacity and reducing rolling resistance.

4. How is steel cord manufactured?

Steel cord is typically made by twisting individual steel wires together to form strands, and then twisting several strands together to form a cord. The cord is then coated with rubber or other materials to protect it from corrosion and improve adhesion with the rubber product it will be used in.

5. Is steel cord safe for use in rubber products?

Yes, steel cord is safe for use in rubber products. It undergoes rigorous testing and quality control measures to ensure it meets safety standards and is suitable for use in various applications. Additionally, the rubber coating on the cord helps to prevent any potential hazards from sharp edges of the steel wires.