Explain what laws of physics were violated in this scenario....

In summary: his hand would exert a force on his hair, which would apply a force on the ground which would apply a force to him again.
Davidllerenav

Homework Statement

From reliable information, once Baron Münchhausen was stuck in a swamp, he pulled himself out of it by the hair. What laws of physics did the baron break? (Find the answer analytically)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think that he breaks the three laws of Newton. The first one and second one because it says that he pulled himself out by the hair, so he is a applying a force on himself. For an object to move it, an external force must be applied. The inner forces do not cause movement. The third law because it says that every force applied to a body, there is one applied from that body with the same magnitude but different direction. Since he is applying a force to himsel, there would be another force with different direction but same magnitude, since the mass is the same and acceleration too, the sum of both is cero, no ##ma##.
I don't know how to express this analytically, I need some help.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you are mostly correct on what you saying. To express this more formally, you need to consider the centre of mass (c.o.m) of the body of Baron. We know that for the c.o.m this equation holds
$$\sum F_{external}=m\frac{d^2x_{com}}{dt^2}$$(we arrive at this equation if we combine Newton's 2nd and 3rd law and the mathematical definition of the c.o.m)

So the Right Hand Side of this equation is obviously non zero since Baron moves himself out of the swamp. But the Left Hand Side of the equation is obviously zero.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Delta2 said:
So the Right Hand Side of this equation is obviously non zero since Baron moves himself out of the swamp. But the Left Hand Side of the equation is obviously zero.
So we arrive at a contradiction, right?
Delta2 said:
Well you are mostly correct on what you saying. To express this more formally, you need to consider the centre of mass (c.o.m) of the body of Baron. We know that for the c.o.m this equation holds
$$\sum F_{external}=m\frac{d^2x_{com}}{dt^2}$$(we arrive at this equation if we combine Newton's 2nd and 3rd law and the mathematical definition of the c.o.m)
I haven't seen too much about c.o.m, only that the forces come out of it. Can you edplaie this a bit more, please?

Davidllerenav said:
So we arrive at a contradiction, right?
Yes it is a contradiction , though it is a bit more complicated than I thought. There is an external force on the Baron and it is his weight (the attractive force from earth). That equation tell us essentially that Baron needs another external force to counter his weight, Baron cannot counter his weight by pulling himself from the hair which is an internal force.
I haven't seen too much about c.o.m, only that the forces come out of it. Can you edplaie this a bit more, please?
Well if you haven't been taught about this equation and its proof it would be hard to explain here. Basically using Newtons 2nd and 3rd Laws and the definition of c.o.m we can prove that equation. But i am sure you use this equation quite often in problems.

Delta2 said:
Yes it is a contradiction , though it is a bit more complicated than I thought. There is an external force on the Baron and it is his weight (the attractive force from earth). That equation tell us essentially that Baron needs another external force to counter his weight, Baron cannot counter his weight by pulling himself from the hair which is an internal force.
But wouldn't the other external force needed be the normal force?
Delta2 said:
Well if you haven't been taught about this equation and its proof it would be hard to explain here. Basically using Newtons 2nd and 3rd Laws and the definition of c.o.m we can prove that equation. But i am sure you use this equation quite often in problems.
Yes, I use that equation, so I guess there isn't any problem.

Three laws according to Wikipedia...
First law:In an inertial frame of reference, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force.[2][3]

Second law:In an inertial frame of reference, the vector sum of the forces F on an object is equal to the mass m of that object multiplied by the acceleration a of the object: F = ma. (It is assumed here that the mass m is constant – see below.)

Third law:When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

First law: There is no external force so he should remain at rest.
Second law: Zero net force means zero acceleration - so should remain at rest.
Third law: If you consider his hand and hair as two separate bodies he must be breaking this law because to escape the force his hand exerts on his hair must be greater than the force his hair exerts on his hand.

CWatters said:
Three laws according to Wikipedia...First law: There is no external force so he should remain at rest.
Second law: Zero net force means zero acceleration - so should remain at rest.
Third law: If you consider his hand and hair as two separate bodies he must be breaking this law because to escape the force his hand exerts on his hair must be greater than the force his hair exerts on his hand.
I understand that now how do I express that analytically?

Last edited:
Davidllerenav said:
But wouldn't the other external force needed be the normal force?
Ok the normal force (if baron touches the swamps bottom with his legs) or the buoyancy force cancels out the force of his weight. All these forces are external forces. So at one side of the equation we will have ##\sum F_{external}=B-N=0##. (Note that in this sum we don't count the internal force from his hand to his hair/head, because it is an internal force). But on the other side of the equation the term ##m\frac{d^2x_{com}}{dt^2}=ma_{com}## shouldn't be zero for the time interval for which baron moves from swamp to outside of the swamp. So we have a contradiction , that ##0=\sum F_{external}=ma_{com}\neq 0##.

Delta2 said:
Ok the normal force (if baron touches the swamps bottom with his legs) or the buoyancy force cancels out the force of his weight. All these forces are external forces. So at one side of the equation we will have ##\sum F_{external}=B-N=0##. (Note that in this sum we don't count the internal force from his hand to his hair/head, because it is an internal force). But on the other side of the equation the term ##m\frac{d^2x_{com}}{dt^2}=ma_{com}## shouldn't be zero for the time interval for which baron moves from swamp to outside of the swamp. So we have a contradiction , that ##0=\sum F_{external}=ma_{com}\neq 0##.
I see, thanks. So that would be the way to explain analytically, right?

Davidllerenav said:
I see, thanks. So that would be the way to explain analytically, right?
yes according to that equation, baron needs a net external force in order to give acceleration to his c.o.m but there is no net external force provided. The force from his hand to his hair is an internal force.

Delta2 said:
yes according to that equation, baron needs a net external force in order to give acceleration to his c.o.m but there is no net external force provided. The force from his hand to his hair is an internal force.
Thanks for your help!

Likes Delta2

1. What are the laws of physics?

The laws of physics are a set of fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. They are based on observations and experiments and have been developed and refined over centuries by scientists and mathematicians.

2. How do laws of physics apply to everyday life?

The laws of physics apply to every aspect of our daily lives, from the movement of objects to the functioning of technology. For example, the law of gravity explains why objects fall to the ground and the laws of thermodynamics govern how heat and energy are transferred in our homes.

3. What does it mean to violate a law of physics?

When a scenario violates a law of physics, it means that the principles or equations that describe that law have been broken. This often results in a physically impossible or unlikely situation.

4. Can laws of physics be broken?

No, laws of physics cannot be broken. They are considered fundamental and universal principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. However, our understanding of these laws may change as we continue to make new discoveries.

5. What are some common examples of laws of physics being violated in scenarios?

Some common examples of laws of physics being violated in scenarios include perpetual motion machines (violation of the law of conservation of energy), time travel (violation of the laws of causality and relativity), and objects moving faster than the speed of light (violation of the laws of relativity).