Explaining 2.2 x 10⁻⁶ m Range Calculation

In summary: I’m saying answer C) is the answer to a different question:Light of wavelength 550nm is incident normally on a diffraction grating. The highest order lines visible are the 6th-order. What is the possible range of the ruling-separations?##n\lambda = dsin\theta## gives ##d = \frac{n\lambda}{sin\theta}##If the 6th order is just visible, that means ##\theta = 89.99999999º##.This corresponds to a line-spacing ##d = \frac {6\lambda}{sin(89.99999999º)} = 6\lambda##.If the 7
hidemi
Homework Statement
If 550-nm light is incident normally on a diffraction grating and exactly 6 lines are produced, the ruling separation must be:

The answer is between 2.20 ´ 10-6 m and 3.30 ´ 10-6 m
Relevant Equations
d·sin(θ) = n·λ
I get one of the ranges by calculating:

sin(90°) = 1
d·sin(θ) = d × 1 = d = n·λ
d = 6 × 550-nm = 3,300 nm = 3.3 microns = 3.3 × 10⁻⁶ m

But, how can I get the other range of 2.2 × 10⁻⁶ m

Could anyone explain it to me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: If 550-nm light is incident normally on a diffraction grating and exactly 6 lines are produced, the ruling separation must be:
There can’t be ‘exactly 6 lines’ because there is a single 0-th order central line and pairs of higher order lines (symmetrical about centre). So there is an odd number of lines in total. For example, if the highest order line is 6 (n=6), there are exactly 2*6+1 = 13 lines visible.

Have you stated the question correctly?

Likes Charles Link
In general, the number of primary maxima will be odd, because of the ## m=0 ##, with ## m=\pm 1 ##, and ## m=\pm 2 ##, etc. I think the question needs additional clarification. Perhaps someone else has an idea of what it is referring to.

Steve4Physics said:
There can’t be ‘exactly 6 lines’ because there is a single 0-th order central line and pairs of higher order lines (symmetrical about centre). So there is an odd number of lines in total. For example, if the highest order line is 6 (n=6), there are exactly 2*6+1 = 13 lines visible.

Have you stated the question correctly?
There isn't any typo. The picture of the original question is as attached.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 153
I tried to solve it assuming there are orders up to and including ## m=5 ##. I can also see how they got the 3.3 but not the 2.2. I think they need to do their homework more carefully. The question is flawed.

Likes Steve4Physics
hidemi said:
There isn't any typo. The picture of the original question is as attached.
The question is wrong (as already noted by @Charles Link and myself). And the so-called correct answer can't be correct because the limits of the ruling-separation range are 4λ and 6λ, which makes no sense.

I believe the question should be:

Light of wavelngth 550nm is incident normally on a diffraction grating. The highest order lines visible are the 6th-order. What is the possible range of the ruling-separations?

To answer this we consider the 2 limiting conditions.

a)The ruling-separation gives the 6th order line at θ = 89.9999999999º (but call it 90º!) which is just visible.

b)The ruling-separation gives the 7th order line at θ = 90º (you can’t actually see a line if θ = 90º). Note that the 6th order lines would now be visible at some angle smaller than 90º.

Using the amended question I get the answer C) in your list.

From what text-book (or other source) is the question?

Likes Charles Link
Steve4Physics said:
The question is wrong (as already noted by @Charles Link and myself). And the so-called correct answer can't be correct because the limits of the ruling-separation range are 4λ and 6λ, which makes no sense.

I believe the question should be:

Light of wavelngth 550nm is incident normally on a diffraction grating. The highest order lines visible are the 6th-order. What is the possible range of the ruling-separations?

To answer this we consider the 2 limiting conditions.

a)The ruling-separation gives the 6th order line at θ = 89.9999999999º (but call it 90º!) which is just visible.

b)The ruling-separation gives the 7th order line at θ = 90º (you can’t actually see a line if θ = 90º). Note that the 6th order lines would now be visible at some angle smaller than 90º.

Using the amended question I get the answer C) in your list.

From what text-book (or other source) is the question?
It's from class, and I'm not sure where the professor extracted from.
One of the answer C is above the limit of 3.3e-6, so I wonder if I misunderstood what you meant.

hidemi said:
One of the answer C is above the limit of 3.3e-6, so I wonder if I misunderstood what you meant.
There is no upper limit of 3.3e-6 m. Remember the original question is completel wrong - it is nonsense.

I’m saying answer C) is the answer to a different question:

Light of wavelength 550nm is incident normally on a diffraction grating. The highest order lines visible are the 6th-order. What is the possible range of the ruling-separations?

##n\lambda= dsin\thetaθ## gives ##d = \frac{n\lambda}{sin\theta}##

If the 6th order is just visible, that means ##\theta = 89.99999999º##.
This corresponds to a line-spacing ##d = \frac {6\lambda}{sin(89.99999999º)} = 6\lambda##.

If the 7th order is just invisible that means ##\theta = 90º##.
This corresponds to a line-spacing ##d = \frac {7\lambda}{sin(90º)} = 7\lambda##.
(In this case the 6th order would easily be visible – you can work out, it is at 59º.)

Therefore the line-spacing (d) must be between ##6\lambda## and ##7\lambda##.

##d = 6 \times 550\times 10^{-9} m = 3.30\times 10^-6 m##.
##d = 7 \times 550\times 10^{-9} m = 3.85\times 10^-6 m##.

Steve4Physics said:
There is no upper limit of 3.3e-6 m. Remember the original question is completel wrong - it is nonsense.

I’m saying answer C) is the answer to a different question:

Light of wavelength 550nm is incident normally on a diffraction grating. The highest order lines visible are the 6th-order. What is the possible range of the ruling-separations?

##n\lambda= dsin\thetaθ## gives ##d = \frac{n\lambda}{sin\theta}##

If the 6th order is just visible, that means ##\theta = 89.99999999º##.
This corresponds to a line-spacing ##d = \frac {6\lambda}{sin(89.99999999º)} = 6\lambda##.

If the 7th order is just invisible that means ##\theta = 90º##.
This corresponds to a line-spacing ##d = \frac {7\lambda}{sin(90º)} = 7\lambda##.
(In this case the 6th order would easily be visible – you can work out, it is at 59º.)

Therefore the line-spacing (d) must be between ##6\lambda## and ##7\lambda##.

##d = 6 \times 550\times 10^{-9} m = 3.30\times 10^-6 m##.
##d = 7 \times 550\times 10^{-9} m = 3.85\times 10^-6 m##.
Thanks for the response.
I wonder how about the orders lie in between 0 < theta < 90?

hidemi said:
I wonder how about the orders lie in between 0 < theta < 90?
I don't understand the question. What you can try is this:

Pick a value for d.
Work out the angle for each order using
##\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac {n\lambda }{d})## for n=0, 1, 2, 3, ...

You will then see exactly where each order lies in the range 0≤θ<90º.

You can repeat this for a different value of d and see what difference it makes,

(If you can use a spreadsheet, this is very quick/easy to do.)

Likes Charles Link and hidemi
I
Steve4Physics said:
I don't understand the question. What you can try is this:

Pick a value for d.
Work out the angle for each order using
##\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac {n\lambda }{d})## for n=0, 1, 2, 3, ...

You will then see exactly where each order lies in the range 0≤θ<90º.

You can repeat this for a different value of d and see what difference it makes,

(If you can use a spreadsheet, this is very quick/easy to do.)
I see, Thank you/.

Likes Steve4Physics and Charles Link

1. How is the range calculation of 2.2 x 10⁻⁶ m determined?

The range calculation of 2.2 x 10⁻⁶ m is determined using the formula R = V²sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What does the value of 2.2 x 10⁻⁶ m represent in the range calculation?

The value of 2.2 x 10⁻⁶ m represents the horizontal distance traveled by an object launched at a specific angle and initial velocity.

3. Why is the range calculation important in scientific experiments?

The range calculation is important in scientific experiments because it helps to predict the trajectory and distance traveled by an object, which is crucial for accurately collecting and analyzing data.

4. How does changing the launch angle affect the range calculation?

Changing the launch angle can significantly affect the range calculation. A lower launch angle will result in a shorter range, while a higher launch angle will result in a longer range. This is because the launch angle directly affects the vertical component of the initial velocity, which in turn affects the time the object spends in the air.

5. Can the range calculation be applied to all types of objects?

The range calculation can be applied to all objects that are launched at a specific angle and initial velocity. However, it may not be accurate for objects that are affected by air resistance or other external forces. In those cases, more complex calculations may be necessary.