Explaining Copper(2) Oxide Bonding & ECs

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary: So in summary, the bonding of Copper(II) Oxide involves Copper losing 2 electrons to achieve a stable charge of 2+, and it is an exception to the usual rule of atoms wanting full outer shells in bonding.
markosheehan
Could someone explain the bonding of copper(2) oxide to me? What are each element's EC before and after?

i understand the copper has a variable valency and in this case it looses 2 electrons to make the overall charge 0. however i don't understand the electron configurations. coppers EC before is 2,8,8,8,3. it looses 2 electrons so it goes to 2,8,8,8,1 this is not stable and this doesn't make sense to me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The abbreviation EC has quite a few meanings in chemistry, can you be more clear about it please.

Anyway, copper (II) is a bit of an exception from memory. Try searching for why Cu(II) is stable.

markosheehan said:
Could someone explain the bonding of copper(2) oxide to me? What are each element's EC before and after?

i understand the copper has a variable valency and in this case it looses 2 electrons to make the overall charge 0. however i don't understand the electron configurations. coppers EC before is 2,8,8,8,3. it looses 2 electrons so it goes to 2,8,8,8,1 this is not stable and this doesn't make sense to me.

Hi markosheehan,

I'm assuming EC stands for Electron Configuration?

Before the bonding Copper has the configuration 2-8-18-1 (there are 18 electrons in the M valence shell) and Oxygen has 2-6.
After the bonding Copper has 2-8-17 and Oxygen has 2-8.

And indeed Copper doesn't have a 'nice' full shell.
There are some complicated answers out there about why that is, but long story short, in this particular case Copper(II) Oxide is more stable than Copper(I) Oxide.

thanks I like serena . that's what i was looking for.

i thought when bonding takes place atoms always want full outer shells? are there exceptions?

markosheehan said:

i thought when bonding takes place atoms always want full outer shells? are there exceptions?

There are many exceptions. I remember back in my first year chemistry course, my professor criticized the textbook for providing incorrect explanations to these exceptions. Most of the time these explanations go much beyond the scope of general chemistry courses, so I wouldn't worry about them.

markosheehan said:

Yes, there are exceptions.
Most elements have a stable bonding with a full outer shell, but they typically also have alternative stable bondings.
For instance $CO$ and $CO_2$ are both stable, and $CO_2$ is the one where $C$ has a full outer shell.
Copper is apparently one of the exceptions where the bonding with a full outer shell ($Cu^+$) is less stable than other bondings ($Cu^{2+}$ and $Cu^{3+}$). Note that Copper also has a stable Copper(III) Oxide binding.

1. What is the chemical structure of copper(2) oxide?

Copper(2) oxide (CuO) is composed of one copper atom and one oxygen atom bonded together. The chemical formula for copper(2) oxide is CuO, indicating that there is a 1:1 ratio of copper atoms to oxygen atoms in the compound.

2. How do copper(2) oxide bonds form?

Copper(2) oxide bonds form through the transfer of electrons between the copper and oxygen atoms. The copper atom loses two electrons to become a positively charged ion (Cu2+), while the oxygen atom gains two electrons to become a negatively charged ion (O2-). These opposite charges attract and form an ionic bond between the two atoms.

3. What is the type of bonding found in copper(2) oxide?

Copper(2) oxide has both ionic and covalent bonding. The bond between the copper and oxygen atoms is ionic, while the bond within the oxygen atom itself is covalent. This is because oxygen is more electronegative than copper, causing the shared electrons to be pulled closer to the oxygen atom.

4. How does the bonding in copper(2) oxide affect its properties?

The strong ionic and covalent bonding in copper(2) oxide makes it a relatively stable and hard compound. It is also a good conductor of electricity due to the movement of charged particles in the ionic bond. Additionally, the bonding affects the color of copper(2) oxide, giving it a black or dark brown appearance.

5. What is the significance of copper(2) oxide bonding in electrochemical cells (ECs)?

Copper(2) oxide is often used as one of the electrodes in electrochemical cells because of its ability to easily gain and lose electrons. This allows for the flow of electricity through the cell. The bonding in copper(2) oxide also plays a role in the formation of the oxide layer on the electrode surface, which can impact the efficiency and performance of the cell.