Explaining Earth's Lower Gravity at the Equator

In summary: It's not clear what you are asking because in the picture you posted above there is no ##F_g## or ##F_N##. Just look at the free body diagrams in Fig. 13.9 and consider the forces on the spring scale. At the Equator,$$F_{SE}-mg=-m\omega^2 R_E \rightarrow F_{SE}=mg-m\omega^2 R_E$$At the North pole $$F_{SN}=mg$$If we look at this in the rotating frame of the Earth, there is a centrifugal force at the Equator ##m\omega^2R_E## acting on the mass that reduces the reading on
lightlightsup
The apparent ##|\vec{g}|## at the equator, away from Earth's axis of rotation is lower.
I know how to calculate this difference of about ##0.03\ \frac{m}{s^2}##.
However, I do not intuitively understand this.
The closest I've come to an intuitive understanding: An object, whether it is on the ground or in vertical motion, is rotating away from Earth's gravitational inward pull at a small tangential speed that makes it feel like it has slightly reduced gravity acting on it.
Anyone got a better explanation or a link to a better explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered the actual shape of the Earth?

phinds said:
Have you considered the actual shape of the Earth?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

lightlightsup said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
Well, what IS the shape of the Earth? Do you think I would have bothered asking if it were not relevant to your question?

Likes berkeman
phinds said:
Well, what IS the shape of the Earth? Do you think I would have bothered asking if it were not relevant to your question?
Spheroid; has a bulge at the equator?
But, let's assume that there is a perfect spherical Earth that rotates perfectly on the north-south pole axis and has a rotation period of 24 hours and the same mass as earth. How do I intuitively understand the difference in apparent weight and gravity between the poles and the equator then?

Attachments

• CNX_UPhysics_13_02_ApparentW.jpg
    CNX_UPhysics_13_02_ApparentW.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 164
lightlightsup said:
Spheroid; has a bulge at the equator?
But, let's assume that there is a perfect spherical Earth that rotates perfectly on the north-south pole axis and has a rotation period of 24 hours and the same mass as earth. How do I intuitively understand the difference in apparent weight and gravity between the poles and the equator then?
An object at the equator is not moving in a straight line. In effect, it is constantly falling, accelerating at ##R\omega^2##. Thus, the upward force, i.e. the normal force (from the weighing machine), is less than mg.

Is this truly a homework problem (for which we can only give hints and leading questions) or is it something that you are just wanting to learn about (for which we can give actual answers)? I do not see this precise question in the link that you give.

You must be very clear on what "weight" means to you. In fact, the Earth has been shaped (especially at sea level) so that the combination of gravitational attraction and centrifugal force is a constant force normal to the surface. If that force is what you mean by "weight", then there is no difference between the force at the Equator and the North Pole. On the other hand, if you are asking specifically about the gravitational attraction, without the centrifugal force, then you can determine the change in that part by realizing that it is the opposite of the change in the normal component of the centrifugal force. The change in the normal component of the centrifugal force can be calculated relatively simply as a function of the distance from the axis of rotation and the angle of the normal to the surface.

FactChecker said:
You must be very clear on what "weight" means to you. In fact, the Earth has been shaped (especially at sea level) so that the combination of gravitational attraction and centrifugal force is a constant force normal to the surface. If that force is what you mean by "weight", then there is no difference between the force at the Equator and the North Pole. On the other hand, if you are asking specifically about the gravitational attraction, without the centrifugal force, then you can determine the change in that part by realizing that it is the opposite of the change in the normal component of the centrifugal force. The change in the normal component of the centrifugal force can be calculated relatively simply as a function of the distance from the axis of rotation and the angle of the normal to the surface.
In the picture that I posted above: on the pole, ##F_g = F_N## but near the equator ##F_g > F_N## (or ##F_N < F_g##). Is that correct?

lightlightsup said:
In the picture that I posted above: on the pole, ##F_g = F_N## but near the equator ##F_g > F_N## (or ##F_N < F_g##). Is that correct?
It's not clear what you are asking because in the picture you posted above there is no ##F_g## or ##F_N##. Just look at the free body diagrams in Fig. 13.9 and consider the forces on the spring scale. At the Equator,$$F_{SE}-mg=-m\omega^2 R_E \rightarrow F_{SE}=mg-m\omega^2 R_E$$At the North pole $$F_{SN}=mg$$If we look at this in the rotating frame of the Earth, there is a centrifugal force at the Equator ##m\omega^2R_E## acting on the mass that reduces the reading on the spring scale relative to the weight ##mg##. In other words, at the Equator the spring scale measures the apparent weight of the mass. There is no centrifugal force at the poles so the spring scale measures the "true" weight, that is the force with which the Earth attracts the mass. The departure of the Earth from being spherical is a separate issue that affects the local value of ##g##.

Likes FactChecker and lightlightsup
Thank You @kuruman , you definitely cleared things up for me. I think I'll need to read up more on "centrifugal force" and "coriolis force".

FactChecker said:
If that force is what you mean by "weight", then there is no difference between the force at the Equator and the North Pole.
This is not correct.

The geoid is an equipotential surface. That means that the apparent force of gravity is everywhere perpendicular to the surface. It does not mean that the apparent force of gravity has the same magnitude everywhere on the surface. Fixed potential, not fixed gradient of the potential.

The apparent force of gravity at the equator is indeed, as stated in post #1, lower at the equator than at the poles. You can look it up.

Likes FactChecker
jbriggs444 said:
This is not correct.

The geoid is an equipotential surface. That means that the apparent force of gravity is everywhere perpendicular to the surface. It does not mean that the apparent force of gravity has the same magnitude everywhere on the surface. Fixed potential, not fixed gradient of the potential.

The apparent force of gravity at the equator is indeed, as stated in post #1, lower at the equator than at the poles. You can look it up.
I stand corrected. Sorry.

Likes jbriggs444

1. Why is the gravity lower at the equator compared to other parts of the Earth?

The gravity at the equator is lower due to the centrifugal force caused by the Earth's rotation. The faster rotation at the equator creates a slight bulge at the equator, making the distance from the center of the Earth to the surface slightly longer and reducing the force of gravity.

2. Is the difference in gravity significant at the equator?

The difference in gravity at the equator is relatively small, with a decrease of about 0.5% compared to the poles. However, this difference is enough to be measurable and can impact objects and their movements, especially in precise measurements and calculations.

3. Does the Earth's shape have an impact on the lower gravity at the equator?

Yes, the Earth's shape plays a crucial role in the lower gravity at the equator. The Earth is not a perfect sphere but an oblate spheroid, which means it is slightly flattened at the poles and bulging at the equator. This shape, along with the rotation, creates the lower gravity at the equator.

4. Is the lower gravity at the equator the same everywhere around the globe?

No, the lower gravity at the equator is not the same everywhere around the globe. The difference in gravity depends on the latitude, with the lowest gravity at the equator and gradually increasing towards the poles. This is because the centrifugal force is strongest at the equator and decreases as you move towards the poles.

5. How does the lower gravity at the equator affect human life and activities?

The lower gravity at the equator does not have a significant impact on human life and activities. However, it can affect things like the measurement of weight, the flight of airplanes, and satellite orbits. It also allows for slightly faster movement and easier launching of rockets from the equator due to the lower gravitational pull.