Explaining Gravity: A Guide for Non-Physicists

• Thread starter FawkesCa
  • Start date
In summary, the new paper suggests that gravity is just an illusion caused by the distortion of space/time.
FawkesCa
can someone please explain this like i don't have 3 Ph.D.s and 2 Masters in theoretical physics... not that's i don't have those *cough* *cough*
Gravity doesn't exist!
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1001/1001.0785v1.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Just like water doesn't exist if you break it into smaller and smaller parts - only protons and electrons do. However, Verlinde's proposal is very sketchy, so it's just a proposal at the moment.

Verlinde is a well respected string theorist, but is taking a bit of flake from his pears over that paper :biggrin:

I like it though. However, it is somewhat sketchy as atyy has stated.

One of the criticism I seen in the science blogs, from his pears, was the high school math used in the paper. Not really a proper criticism, unlike some others, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not sure where to start to answer your question. Don't even know whether to start with the big picture or the specifics of the paper. The general notion is somewhat common to many different models.

Here's real criticism "Faced with these diffculties one may be tempted to abandon the entropic picture of gravity as a mere coincidence, perhaps stemming from consistent dimensional analysis." http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.1998

atyy said:
Here's real criticism "Faced with these diffculties one may be tempted to abandon the entropic picture of gravity as a mere coincidence, perhaps stemming from consistent dimensional analysis." http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.1998

Ooh, thanks! New paper for me :tongue2:

Not sure how I could have missed that one

heres a quandry: space is described as a "fabric" that is destorted by the mass of an object. is it possible that the "fabric of space/time" has a surface tension? and that's what the illusion of gravity actually is?
sorry if this is a REALLY dumb thought, but I am new to physics and its something that has been rattling around for a few months and i can't get anyone to address this.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between all objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and is what keeps everything on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

According to Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation, every mass exerts a force on every other mass. This force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground because of Earth's gravitational pull. Earth's mass creates a gravitational field that pulls objects towards its center. The closer an object is to Earth's center, the stronger the force of gravity acting on it.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards the center of the larger object. This can cause objects to accelerate and move in a curved path, as seen in the orbit of planets around the sun. It also causes objects to fall towards the ground when dropped.

5. Can gravity be explained by Einstein's theory of relativity?

Yes, Einstein's theory of relativity provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravity compared to Newton's law of universal gravitation. According to Einstein, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This explains the observed effects of gravity, such as the bending of light around massive objects and the warping of space-time in the presence of mass.