Explaining Integer Equations: Why -1 at the End?

In summary: If, in the original equation, you had started with 8:8+ 2+ 2^2+ 2^3+ 2^4+ ...+ 2^n= 2*2^n= 2^{n+1}and, subtracting 1:8+ 2+ 2^2+ 2^3+ 2^4+ ...+ 2^n- 1= 2^{n+1}- 1there is no "+1" to subtract on the left so there is no "-1" on the right.
psc109
Can some one explain to my why an integer equation that starts with 1 has a -1 at the end of the equation.

example:

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 ... + 2 ^ N = 2 x ( 2 ^ N ) - 1

Conceptually where does the rule come from that there is a minus at the end of the equation.

It starts with an odd number so the answer must be an odd number and that's why -1 is subtracted at the end then how come if an equation started with -5 or -8 you would not subtract the -5 or -8 in the end?

I've seen numerical explanations but they confuse me, can it be explained with words?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Intiger Concepts

psc109 said:
Can some one explain to my why an integer equation that starts with 1 has a -1 at the end of the equation.

example:

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 ... + 2 ^ N = 2 x ( 2 ^ N ) - 1

Conceptually where does the rule come from that there is a minus at the end of the equation.

It starts with an odd number so the answer must be an odd number and that's why -1 is subtracted at the end then how come if an equation started with -5 or -8 you would not subtract the -5 or -8 in the end?

I've seen numerical explanations but they confuse me, can it be explained with words?

The general formula for a geometric sum is...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} a^{k} = \frac{1 - a^{n+1}}{1-a}\ (1)$

Setting a=2 You obtain $S_{n} = 2^{\ n+1} - 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you Chisigma, the example you gave does not start with one and does not have a negative 1 at the end.

Why is it there in the the example i was given? Why subtract 1 at the end when if say I started it 8 I would not subtract 8 at the end.

psc109 said:
Thank you Chisigma, the example you gave does not start with one and does not have a negative 1 at the end.

Why is it there in the the example i was given? Why subtract 1 at the end when if say I started it 8 I would not subtract 8 at the end.

I confess not to understand exactly Your question, expecially the words 'it start with 1 and ends with -1'... ewerywhere in Math we meet expressions like 'a = b' and no general connection exists between the 'head' of a and the 'tail' of b... may be however that my misundestanding depends from my poor knowledege of the english language (Emo)...

Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

One way of looking at it is this: Let [tex]S= 1+ 2+ 2^2+ 2^3+ ... 2^n[/tex]
Subtract 1 from both sides: [tex]S- 1= 2+ 2^2+ 2^3+ ...+ 2^n[/tex].

The "+1" on the right has become "-1" on left!

Now, factor a "2" on the right: [tex]S- 1= 2(1+ 2+ 2^2+ ...+ 2^{n-1})[/tex]

That "[tex]1+ 2+ 2^2+ 2^{n-1}[/tex] on the right is almost the "[tex]1+ 2+ 2^2+ ...+ 2^n[/tex]" we had before. Make it that way by "adding and subtracting [tex]2^n[/tex] inside the parentheses:
[tex]S-1= 2(1+ 2+ 2^2+ ...+ 2^{n-1}+ 2^n- 2^n)= 2(S- 2^n)[/tex]
[tex]S- 1= 2S- 2^{n+1}[/tex]

Solve that for S by subtracting 2S from both sides and adding 1 to both sides:
[tex]-S= 1- 2^{n+1}[/tex]

so [tex]S= 2^{n+1}- 1[/tex]

That "-1" at the end is due to the "1" on the left in "S- 1" which is, itself, due to the fact that there was a "+1" on the right in the initial equation.

Related to Explaining Integer Equations: Why -1 at the End?

1. What is an integer equation?

An integer equation is a mathematical statement that contains only whole numbers (positive, negative, or zero) and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why is -1 often seen at the end of integer equations?

-1 is often seen at the end of integer equations because it is a common solution to many equations. It is also the additive inverse of 1, meaning that when added together, they cancel each other out and result in 0.

3. How do you solve an integer equation with -1 at the end?

To solve an integer equation with -1 at the end, you can use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and -1 on the other side. For example, if the equation is x + 1 = 4, you can subtract 1 from both sides to get x = 3.

4. Can -1 be the only solution to an integer equation?

Yes, -1 can be the only solution to an integer equation. For example, in the equation x + 1 = 0, the only possible solution is x = -1 since -1 + 1 = 0.

5. What is the significance of -1 in integer equations?

-1 is significant in integer equations because it is a key part of the number system and can often be seen as a solution to equations. It is also an important concept in algebraic equations and can help simplify and solve more complex equations.