Explaining Mesh Currents: Understanding the Relationship between i1 and i2

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and direction of three different currents, i_1, i_2, and i_\Delta, passing through a 20 \ \Omega resistor. It is noted that i_delta's direction determines its definition in terms of i_1 and i_2.
rugerts
Homework Statement
Find the power developed by the dependent voltage source
Relevant Equations
KVL, KCL
Here's my work.
1572915684093.png

I have the correct answer, but I'd like to know why this only works for (i1-i2) plugged in for i_delta as opposed to what I initially put: i_delta = i2-i1. You can see this in the blue text above versus what I originally had in red.
1572915784504.png

Attachments

• 1572915620708.png
    1572915620708.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
rugerts said:
I have the correct answer, but I'd like to know why this only works for (i1-i2) plugged in for i_delta as opposed to what I initially put: i_delta = i2-i1. You can see this in the blue text above versus what I originally had in red.
Each of the following currents (as they are defined), [itex] i_1, i_2, [/itex] and [itex] i_\Delta [/itex] pass through the [itex] 20 \ \Omega [/itex] resistor.

Looking only at a particular current as it passes through the [itex] 20 \ \Omega [/itex] resistor,

Is [itex] i_1 [/itex] in the same direction as [itex] i_\Delta [/itex], or is it in the opposite direction?

Is [itex] i_2 [/itex] in the same direction as [itex] i_\Delta [/itex], or is it in the opposite direction?

Given that, how must you define [itex] i_\Delta [/itex] in terms of [itex] i_1 [/itex] and [itex] i_2 [/itex]?

collinsmark said:
Each of the following currents (as they are defined), [itex] i_1, i_2, [/itex] and [itex] i_\Delta [/itex] pass through the [itex] 20 \ \Omega [/itex] resistor.

Looking only at a particular current as it passes through the [itex] 20 \ \Omega [/itex] resistor,

Is [itex] i_1 [/itex] in the same direction as [itex] i_\Delta [/itex], or is it in the opposite direction?

Is [itex] i_2 [/itex] in the same direction as [itex] i_\Delta [/itex], or is it in the opposite direction?

Given that, how must you define [itex] i_\Delta [/itex] in terms of [itex] i_1 [/itex] and [itex] i_2 [/itex]?
Oh... I see now. Basically i_delta's defined direction gives it all away. Thanks for the reply

Likes collinsmark

What are mesh currents and why are they important?

Mesh currents are the currents flowing in individual loops or meshes within a circuit. They are important because they allow us to analyze complex circuits and determine the voltage and current values at specific points.

How do I determine the relationship between i1 and i2 in a circuit?

The relationship between i1 and i2 can be determined by applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Ohm's Law to the respective meshes. By setting up equations for each mesh and solving them simultaneously, we can find the relationship between the two currents.

What are the key steps to solving a circuit using mesh currents?

The key steps to solving a circuit using mesh currents are: 1) Identify the meshes in the circuit, 2) Assign a current direction for each mesh, 3) Apply KVL to each mesh and set up equations, 4) Solve the equations simultaneously to find the mesh currents, and 5) Use the mesh currents to determine the voltage and current values at specific points in the circuit.

Can I use mesh currents to solve any type of circuit?

Yes, mesh current analysis can be used to solve any type of circuit, including circuits with resistors, voltage sources, and current sources. However, it may not be the most efficient method for some circuits, such as those with a large number of nodes or meshes.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mesh currents to solve a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mesh currents are: 1) Incorrectly identifying the meshes in the circuit, 2) Not assigning a current direction for each mesh, 3) Forgetting to include all the voltage sources in the KVL equations, and 4) Solving the equations incorrectly or not considering the signs of the mesh currents.