Explanation for hydrodynamic problem

In summary: What force is there to accelerate it horizontally?There is only gravity, so the force is just gravity.
Mohamed Essam
New member advised that an attempt at a solution is required for all homework help requests.

Homework Statement

See the photo of the problem in the attachment

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation and continuity equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know from where to begin , i only can get the velocity of fluid when it reaches the hole

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must have been taught something on the topic. Any standard equations relating to fluid flow?

haruspex said:
You must have been taught something on the topic. Any standard equations relating to fluid flow?
Yeah , bernoulli equation and continuity equation.

Mohamed Essam said:
Yeah , bernoulli equation and continuity equation.
You should have listed those under Relevant Equations in the template.
So try applying Bernoulli's. What do you get?

haruspex said:
You should have listed those under Relevant Equations in the template.
So try applying Bernoulli's. What do you get?
Only the velocity of fluid at the hole , i don't know what to do i don't know any other information of how to get the distance x that the fluid will cover

Mohamed Essam said:
Only the velocity of fluid at the hole , i don't know what to do i don't know any other information of how to get the distance x that the fluid will cover
That's a good start. (Next time, please show how far you got in your initial post, otherwise you risk having your post deleted.)
If you throw an object horizontally at a known speed and known height, can you figure out where it will land?

haruspex said:
That's a good start. (Next time, please show how far you got in your initial post, otherwise you risk having your post deleted.)
If you throw an object horizontally at a known speed and known height, can you figure out where it will land?
I think it's by laws of motion !

Mohamed Essam said:
I think it's by laws of motion !
Yes, specifically, motion under constant acceleration. What equations do you know for that?

haruspex said:
Yes, specifically, motion under constant acceleration. What equations do you know for that?
D=Vot+1/2at^2

Mohamed Essam said:
D=Vot+1/2at^2
Right. How can you apply that here?

haruspex said:
Right. How can you apply that here?
That the problem I've faced , i don't know how to apply it here

Mohamed Essam said:
That the problem I've faced , i don't know how to apply it here
What facts do you know in this problem regarding speeds, time, distances and accelerations?

haruspex said:
What facts do you know in this problem regarding speeds, time, distances and accelerations?
I only know the distance from the hole to ground y is 30 cm and the velocity of fluid when it reaches the hole , i only don't know the time when it reaches ground and the acceleration of fluid .

Mohamed Essam said:
I only know the distance from the hole to ground y is 30 cm and the velocity of fluid when it reaches the hole , i only don't know the time when it reaches ground and the acceleration of fluid .
What is causing it to accelerate, once it has left the tank?

haruspex said:
What is causing it to accelerate, once it has left the tank?
Only gravity i think

Mohamed Essam said:
Only gravity i think
Right, so you know the vertical and horizontal (0) accelerations.
Apply your equation for both directions.

haruspex said:
Right, so you know the vertical and horizontal (0) accelerations.
Apply your equation for both directions.
So i can get the time from the y-direction equation and put it in the x-direction equation so i can get the distance x , is that right ?!

Mohamed Essam said:
So i can get the time from the y-direction equation and put it in the x-direction equation so i can get the distance x , is that right ?!
Right!

haruspex said:
Right!
But why you assumed that the horizontal acceleration = 0 , if i didn't know that it equals 0 i can't solve it , so i need to understand why it equals 0

Mohamed Essam said:
But why you assumed that the horizontal acceleration = 0 , if i didn't know that it equals 0 i can't solve it , so i need to understand why it equals 0
What force is there to accelerate it horizontally?

Likes Mohamed Essam

Related to Explanation for hydrodynamic problem

1. What is a hydrodynamic problem?

A hydrodynamic problem is a type of fluid dynamics problem that involves the study of the motion of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of fluids in motion.

2. What are the main factors that contribute to hydrodynamic problems?

The main factors that contribute to hydrodynamic problems are the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, and external forces like gravity and pressure. The shape and size of the object moving through the fluid also play a significant role in the problem.

3. What is the importance of studying hydrodynamic problems?

Studying hydrodynamic problems is crucial in various scientific and engineering fields, such as aerodynamics, marine engineering, and environmental science. It helps us understand fluid behavior, which is essential in designing efficient systems and predicting natural phenomena.

4. What are some common examples of hydrodynamic problems?

Some common examples of hydrodynamic problems include the flow of water in pipes, the lift and drag forces on airplanes, and the movement of ocean currents. Other examples include the behavior of blood flow in the human body and the motion of fluids in hydraulic systems.

5. How are hydrodynamic problems solved?

Hydrodynamic problems are solved using mathematical equations and modeling techniques. These equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, describe the relationship between the fluid's properties and the forces acting on it. Numerical methods, such as computational fluid dynamics, are also used to simulate and analyze hydrodynamic problems.