Explicitly Solving a PDE: Is There a Solution?

• Thread starter Clever-Name
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, there was a problem on a quiz in a PDE class that the student and their friends believe has no explicit solution. They attempted to solve it using the method of characteristics but were unable to find an explicit solution. The student suspects that the problem cannot be solved and provides an explanation using the initial conditions and the PDE.
Clever-Name
I just had a 'quiz' in my PDE class today and there was a problem my friends and I are convinced has no explicit solution. I want to know if maybe we are doing something wrong?

Homework Statement

[tex] (x+y)u_{x} + yu_{y} = 0 [/itex]

[tex] u(1,y) = \frac{1}{y} + ln(y) [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here was my approach via method of characteristics:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = y \to y(t) = Se^{t} [/tex]
[tex] y(t=0) = S [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = x+y [/tex]
[tex] x'-x = Se^{t} [/tex]
Via integrating factor we arrive at:
[tex] x(t) = Ste^{t} + g(s)e^{t} [/tex]
[tex] x(t=0) = 1 \to 1 = g(s) [/tex]

Thus we are left with:

[tex] x(t) = Ste^{t} + e^{t} [/tex]
and
[tex] y(t) = Se^{t} [/tex]

You can check for yourself that the following is true:

[tex] \frac{dU(x(t),y(t))}{dt} = (x+y)u_{x} + yu_{y} = 0 [/tex]

Thus our general solution is:

[tex] U(t) = f(s) [/tex]

A general function of s.

However, we have found that it is impossible to explicitly solve for s. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the problem cannot be solved. Along the initial line [itex]y=1[/itex] you can differentiate the initial conditions and get

[itex]u_y(1,y)=-1/y^2+1/y=(y-1)/y^2=0[/itex]

that you can substitute back into the PDE in order to obtain [itex]u_x[/itex]

[itex](x+1)u_x=0 → u_x=0 [/itex]

which means [itex]u(x,y)=u(y)[/itex]. Hence, [itex]u(x,y)[/itex] should be equal to the initial conditions everywhere. But this is not true, as one can check substituting
[itex]u_x=0[/itex] into the PDE:

[itex]yu_y=y(1-y)/y^2=0[/itex]

true only when [itex]y=0[/itex] or [itex]y=1[/itex].

I am not an expert of the method of characteristics, but I believe the curve on which the initial conditions are given is "noncharacteristic".

Related to Explicitly Solving a PDE: Is There a Solution?

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe how a physical quantity, such as temperature or velocity, changes over space and time.

2. What does it mean to explicitly solve a PDE?

Explicitly solving a PDE means finding a specific function or set of functions that satisfy the equation. This allows us to determine the exact value of the physical quantity at any point in space and time.

3. Is there always a solution to a PDE?

No, there is not always a solution to a PDE. Some PDEs have no solutions, while others may have an infinite number of solutions. It depends on the specific equation and boundary conditions.

4. How do you solve a PDE explicitly?

The process for explicitly solving a PDE depends on the specific equation and its complexity. In general, it involves manipulating the equation using mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, to obtain a solution.

5. What are some applications of explicitly solving PDEs?

PDEs are used in many fields of science and engineering to model and understand complex physical systems. Some common applications include analyzing heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. Explicitly solving PDEs allows us to make predictions and optimize systems in these areas.