Exploding Soap Bubbles: A question of gasses.

In summary, the fire-dancing show is considering adding soap bubbles to the show. They believe that soap bubbles are awesome, and are even more awesome when they explode. They are also considering using lighter than air gasses for the show, as they are the safest option. Anyone have any other ideas for things to try out?
noregsson
So we're considering adding some soap bubbles to a fire-dancing show.

Why? Because soap bubbles are awesome!

But you know what's even _more_ awesome?

That's right! EXPLODING SOAP BUBBLES!

OK, so we don't really want them to explode (well, _I_ do, but apparently democracy rules), but we're thinking flammable lighter than air gasses.

Question:
What would be our best bet? Methane, hydrogen, butane, propane, dynamite? Obviously, we'll want the safest, least volatile, commercially available alternative. And I have a feeling lighter than air is good, not just for the show, but considering the audience below us as well. Oh, and this is for outdoor shows only, in case you were wondering.

I figure there's bound to be someone here who knows more about this stuff than me - I don't think we discussed this much at uni (if we did I probably slept through that lecture) and the only experience I have with this stuff is old physics and chemistry teachers trying their hands at showmanship in high school - exploding balloons and all that jazz. Not much to go on.

I'm open for some discussion here, and feel free to post any and all warnings you can think of. Being a certified pyrotechnician doesn't mean I'm safety-smart. (If I was I'd still have eyebrows . . .)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm. Have to looked to see which of those are lighter than air? I would guess that butane, methane, or something similar would be best, as they are readily available and not as dangerous as storing Hydrogen, but I don't know which ones are lighter than air off the top of my head.

Well yeah, methane and hydrogen are lighter than air. Dynamite is not. =(

I wasn't sure if methane was available to the public here in Norway, but it looks as if it is. Which is great, as that was what we were hoping to use.

Anyone have any other ideas for what can or can't be used? We'd love to get more ideas for things to try out.

Related to Exploding Soap Bubbles: A question of gasses.

1. What causes soap bubbles to explode?

Soap bubbles explode when the gas inside them expands rapidly, causing the bubble to burst. This typically happens when the bubble is exposed to heat or when the gas inside is quickly compressed due to external factors.

2. Is it dangerous to handle exploding soap bubbles?

No, exploding soap bubbles are not dangerous as long as they are made with non-toxic ingredients. However, it is important to be cautious when handling any type of experiment involving heat or combustible materials.

3. Can different types of gasses be used to create exploding soap bubbles?

Yes, different types of gasses can be used to create exploding soap bubbles, such as helium, oxygen, and even carbon dioxide. However, some gasses may produce more explosive reactions than others, so it is important to use caution and follow proper safety guidelines when experimenting with different gasses.

4. What is the science behind exploding soap bubbles?

The science behind exploding soap bubbles involves the principles of gas laws, specifically Boyle's Law and Charles's Law. These laws explain how changes in temperature and pressure can affect the volume and behavior of gasses, which is what causes soap bubbles to explode.

5. Can exploding soap bubbles be used for anything practical?

While exploding soap bubbles may seem like just a fun experiment, they can actually be used for practical purposes. For example, they can be used to demonstrate the principles of gas laws in a hands-on way, making it easier for students to understand these complex concepts.