Explore Challenge Forums: Can You Solve this Integral?

In summary, we use the properties of logarithms, power series, and integrals to show that the integral of ln(tan^2(x)) over 0 to infinity is equal to pi times the natural logarithm of tanh(1). This solution requires knowledge of three specific facts and involves manipulating the integral through several steps to arrive at the final result.
The Lord
I explored the challenge forums today and found it very interesting. I thought it would be a good idea to share a problem with this excellent community.

Show that

$$ \int_0^\infty \frac{\ln(\tan^2 (x))}{1+x^2}dx = \pi \ln(\tanh(1))$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Lord said:
I explored the challenge forums today and found it very interesting. I thought it would be a good idea to share a problem with this excellent community.

Show that

$$ \int_0^\infty \frac{\ln(\tan^2 (x))}{1+x^2}dx = \pi \ln(\tanh(1))$$

Hi Lord!:D

My solution requires the following three facts:

$$ \log\tan^{2}\theta = -4 \sum_{n \ \mathrm{odd}}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}\cos 2n\theta $$

$$ \sum_{n \ \mathrm{odd}}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} x^{n} = \frac{1}{2}\log\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right) $$

and

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t \sin t}{a^2 + t^2} \, dt = \frac{\pi}{2} e^{-|a|}$$

Then

\begin{align*}
I=\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log\tan^2(x)}{1+x^2} \, dx
&= \int_{0}^{\infty} \log\tan^2(x) \left\{\int_{0}^{\infty} \sin t \, e^{-xt} \, dt \right\} \, dx \\
&= \int_{0}^{\infty} \sin t \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-tx} \log\tan^2(x) \, dxdt \\
&= -4 \int_{0}^{\infty} \sin t \int_{0}^{\infty} \sum_{n \ \mathrm{odd}}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} e^{-tx} \cos (2nx) \, dx dt \\
&= -4 \int_{0}^{\infty} \sin t \sum_{n \ \mathrm{odd}}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} \frac{t}{4 n^{2} + t^{2}} \, dt \\
&= -4 \sum_{n \ \mathrm{odd}}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t \sin t}{4 n^{2} + t^{2}} \, dt \\
&= -2\pi \sum_{n \ \mathrm{odd}}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-2n} \\
&= \pi \log \left( \frac{1-e^{-2}}{1+e^{-2}} \right) \\
&= \pi \log (\tanh (1))
\end{align*}

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems in calculus and is an important tool in many areas of science and engineering.

2. How do you solve an integral?

There are several methods for solving integrals, including integration by parts, substitution, and using special techniques such as trigonometric identities. The most common method is to use a definite or indefinite integral to find the area under a curve.

3. Can you solve any integral?

No, not all integrals can be solved analytically. Some integrals have no closed form solution and require numerical methods for approximation. Additionally, some integrals may be unsolvable due to their complexity.

4. What is the purpose of the "Explore Challenge Forums" thread?

The "Explore Challenge Forums" thread is a platform for individuals to share and discuss challenging mathematical problems, such as integrals. It allows for collaboration and learning from others' approaches to problem-solving.

5. How can solving integrals benefit my understanding of mathematics?

Solving integrals requires a strong understanding of various mathematical concepts, such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be applied to other areas of mathematics and science.