Exploring Alternative Energy Sources: What Research is Being Done?

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of matter into energy through various processes such as chemical reactions, biochemistry, and nuclear reactions. The most efficient way to transform matter into energy is through the use of matter and anti-matter reactions, but it is also the most expensive. The conversation also touches on the topic of improving the efficiency of power sources and the work being done by universities and institutions in this area.
irex
As we know, nearly all energy we utilized is transformed from matter, such as chem reaction, biochem process, nuclear reaction,...

and the most efficient way that could transform all matter to energy now we know is the reaction produced by matter with its anti-matter. But the cost is much more expensive than the energy we could get.

Are there any easier ways?

Which university / institution / lab is working on such like project?

Are there any good papers?

Physics news on Phys.org
irex said:
As we know, nearly all energy we utilized is transformed from matter, such as chem reaction, biochem process, nuclear reaction,...

Er... are you sure? Chemical reaction is not a "mass transformation" in the strictest sense. It is simply the breaking of chemical bonds. This is the most common form of energy source. It is what you get when you burn fuel.

Zz.

No, I agree with him 100% it is indeed mass transformation. Regardless of it being extremely small, its better than indicating it came from the 'magic of bonding'.

And you completely ignored his question and brought him down to a level of intelligence that a grade 6 child would have...

Anyways to the question, I think many unis are working on improving the efficiencies of power sources.. but you don't really hear about them because progress is very slow. I am always hearing new improvements to solar panel efficiencies. The rest ill let somone with greater knowledge to answer.

Denton said:
No, I agree with him 100% it is indeed mass transformation. Regardless of it being extremely small, its better than indicating it came from the 'magic of bonding'.

And you completely ignored his question and brought him down to a level of intelligence that a grade 6 child would have...

Anyways to the question, I think many unis are working on improving the efficiencies of power sources.. but you don't really hear about them because progress is very slow. I am always hearing new improvements to solar panel efficiencies. The rest ill let somone with greater knowledge to answer.

First of all, *I* wasn't the one who also made the assumption that the OP was a "he". So I certainly didn't try to make any kind of assumption here, especially about his/her "level of intelligence". It is why I asked if the OP was sure this is what is meant by "mass transformation". I indicated that, in "the strictest sense", chemical processes/bonds aren't commonly considered as "mass transformation". Considering that we get people from a varied level of backgrounds, it is imperative to know in what context people are asking such a question first before providing an answer which may or may not be understandable.

Zz.

Denton said:
The OP had used the term "matter transformation", not "mass transformation", in referring to chemical reactions. I believe that's what Zz was questioning. Bonds are released and formed, which does indeed involve (very slight) changes in mass, but "matter" isn't transformed in the sense of particles being created or destroyed.

Note the OP said "matter transformation" not "mass transformation." To me, an exothermic chemical reaction involves a "mass transformation" strictly speaking, because the sum of the masses of the products is (very very very slightly!) less than the sum of the masses of the reactants. But I would not call it a "matter transformation" because the total number of atoms (or protons, neutrons and electrons if you prefer) remains the same.

Related to Exploring Alternative Energy Sources: What Research is Being Done?

1. What is alternative energy?

Alternative energy refers to energy sources that are renewable and sustainable, such as solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass. These sources can be harnessed without depleting natural resources and causing harm to the environment.

2. Why is research being done on alternative energy sources?

Research on alternative energy sources is being done to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, which contribute to climate change and air pollution. It also aims to find more efficient and cost-effective ways of harnessing these renewable energy sources.

3. What are some examples of research being done on alternative energy sources?

Examples of research being done on alternative energy sources include developing more efficient solar panels, improving the storage and distribution of wind energy, finding ways to harness ocean energy, and creating biofuels from algae.

4. What are the benefits of using alternative energy sources?

The use of alternative energy sources has numerous benefits, including reduced carbon emissions, improved air quality, increased energy security, and job creation in the renewable energy industry.

5. What are the challenges in implementing alternative energy sources?

Some challenges in implementing alternative energy sources include high initial costs, limited technology and infrastructure, and intermittency of some sources, such as solar and wind energy. Additionally, there may be resistance from traditional energy industries and government policies that favor fossil fuels.