Exploring Basis Vector Relationships in Incompatible Propositions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between propositions in a lattice of subspaces. It is stated that incompatible propositions have a unique greatest lower bound, and the concept of "incompatible" is further defined. The question then arises about how sets of basis vectors that span these propositions are related, particularly in the case of ##\hat p\hat q## and ##\hat q\hat p## compared to ##p\wedge q##. The question is asking for a mathematical explanation of why ##\hat p\hat q\neq\hat q\hat p## and ##p\wedge q=q\wedge p##.
forkosh
TL;DR Summary
If propositions ##p,q\in{\mathscr L}_{\mathcal H}## (i.e., the lattice of subspaces of ##\mathcal H##) are incompatible, then ##\hat p\hat q\neq\hat q\hat p##. But since it's a lattice, there exists a unique glb ##p\wedge q=q\wedge p##. How are they mathematically related?
If propositions ##p,q\in{\mathscr L}_{\mathcal H}## (i.e., the lattice of subspaces of ##\mathcal H##) are incompatible, then ##\hat p\hat q\neq\hat q\hat p##. But since it's a lattice, there exists a unique glb ##p\wedge q=q\wedge p##. How are they mathematically related?

In particular, I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that "incompatible" can also be defined as: there exists no single orthonormal basis ##E## for ##\mathcal H## such that one subset ##E_p\subseteq E## exactly spans ##p##, and another subset ##E_q\subseteq E## exactly spans ##q##.

Then how are sets of basis vectors (from different bases ##E,F,G,\ldots## as necessary) that exactly span ##p,q,\hat p\hat q,\hat q\hat p,p\wedge q## related? And more particularly, how are basis vectors for ##\hat p\hat q,\hat q\hat p## related to those for ##p\wedge q##?

Likes nomadreid
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically, what I'm asking is: is there some way to relate the set of basis vectors ##E_p## (for ##p##) to the set of basis vectors ##E_{\hat p\hat q},E_{\hat q\hat p},E_{p\wedge q}## (for ##\hat p\hat q,\hat q\hat p,p\wedge q## respectively) in a way that makes it clear why ##\hat p\hat q\neq\hat q\hat p## and ##p\wedge q=q\wedge p##?

1. What is the purpose of exploring basis vector relationships in incompatible propositions?

The purpose of exploring basis vector relationships in incompatible propositions is to understand how different propositions or ideas can be represented and related to each other in a mathematical or logical framework. This can help in analyzing and solving complex problems or making decisions based on conflicting information.

2. How are basis vectors used in exploring incompatible propositions?

Basis vectors are used as a mathematical tool to represent and compare different propositions or ideas. They can be used to create a basis for a vector space and then explore the relationships between different vectors or propositions within that space.

3. Can exploring basis vector relationships in incompatible propositions be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the concept of basis vector relationships in incompatible propositions can be applied to real-world problems in various fields such as economics, psychology, and decision-making. It can help in understanding conflicting information and making informed decisions.

4. Are there any limitations to using basis vector relationships in exploring incompatible propositions?

One limitation is that the concept may not be applicable to all types of incompatible propositions. It may also require a certain level of mathematical or logical understanding to effectively use it in problem-solving.

5. How can scientists benefit from exploring basis vector relationships in incompatible propositions?

Exploring basis vector relationships in incompatible propositions can help scientists in analyzing and understanding complex problems or theories. It can also aid in developing new theories or approaches to solving problems by exploring different relationships between incompatible propositions.