Exploring Career Options After Academia: Tips & Support

In summary, the author is considering changing their career to something else, either in industry or in the public sector. They feel like they are doing everything but making a real impact. They would be grateful for suggestions on finding a job.
Kargab
Hi all,

After a major in physics (European university), a PhD in AMO physics (laser matter interaction) I am in the beginning of my 3rd postdoctoral position. I have been always studying laser interaction (from moderate to strong intensities) with molecules , atoms and (for a while surfaces). I have made several publications in peer reviewed journals and conferences. Normally I am on track for a permanent position in academia either in a university or in an institute.

The thing is that I already feel a bit fed up with this kind of stuff. Even though I progress scientifically and I acquire more skills I feel somehow useless, that everything I do are not connected to real life. Not to mention that I am kind of tired with the timetable (in my last post the working hours are close to 12+ hours per day …) and the salary...

That is why I have been thinking to change my career to something else, either in industry or in the public sector. In order to have a more regular life! The problem is that since I have been always dealing with fundamental science I have no idea about the job market and where I could search for job.

So, I would be grateful if you could provide me with any suggestions about sites in the web that I could search for job postings (apart from indeed) or generally, sectors and fields that my skills could be useful and could provide me a fresh start.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to get some hobbies and not place all your eggs in the fundamental science basket.

Every job has ups and downs, fits of excitement and boredom. I am a programmer and I do a lot of boring work but it affords me the chance to ponder other things that are more interesting to me.

If you keep jumping around then you will always feel that you are climbing up the hill and never getting to the top and doing meaningful work.

This is the true meaning of:

"The grass is always greener on the other side."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...he-grass-is-not-always-greener-the-other-side

Your track is toward academia and at some point you will begin teaching students perhaps that could be the thing that satisfies your need to do something meaningful. It won't be easy and often times the students will give you grief but that's how meaningful contributions are made (when that one student cites you as his/her inspiration).

Alternatively, your track may be toward research where you will fight for funding and try to publish papers. Your boredom will cause you to look at other problems in your field and you may discover that you are in the right position at the right time to solve one and then you will realize the need to stay the course even though land is not in sight.

Of course, I could be wrong or I'm an idealist but that's how I've tried to handle the boredom of work.

And now for a Taoist story in the same vein:

https://books.google.com/books?id=cmc8CgAAQBAJ&pg=PT11&lpg=PT11&dq=we+shall+see+taoist+tale&source=bl&ots=qHMZSqsFQt&sig=IGC6TvdofNCSDkSVdq5zxIAeWBs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZtpq3uqXPAhWBbD4KHcUgC30Q6AEINjAE#v=onepage&q=we shall see taoist tale&f=false

jedishrfu said:
My suggestion would be to get some hobbies and not place all your eggs in the fundamental science basket.
Hobbies of course would be great... However working hours in academia and specifically in very competitive fields (as the one I am at the moment ) don't leave me time for such things. Especially now that I still don't have a permanent position...

jedishrfu said:
"The grass is always greener on the other side."
I guess at this part of my life I fell like crossing over the fence and carry the water I have collected with me so as to tend the other part of the garden...!
jedishrfu said:
Of course, I could be wrong or I'm an idealist but that's how I've tried to handle the boredom of work.

As for me you are not wrong at all, however aside from the boredom, I have to handle also the monthly income ( which I can tell you that in academia most of the time is pretty low ) since I am a fresh father!
In my view I can get higher salary in the industry.

1. What are some common career options for those with a background in academia?

Some common career options for those with a background in academia include research positions in government or industry, teaching positions at universities or community colleges, and consulting work in a specialized field.

2. How can I determine which career path is best for me?

One way to determine which career path is best for you is to reflect on your skills, interests, and values. Consider what you enjoy doing and what you are good at, and research careers that align with those strengths.

3. Is it necessary to have a PhD to pursue a career outside of academia?

No, having a PhD is not always necessary to pursue a career outside of academia. Many industries value the skills and knowledge gained through graduate-level education, but there are also many non-academic careers that do not require a PhD.

4. Are there resources available to help me transition from academia to a new career?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you transition from academia to a new career. These may include career counseling services, job search websites, networking events, and workshops or webinars specifically geared towards helping PhDs explore non-academic career options.

5. Will my academic experience be seen as valuable in a non-academic job application?

Absolutely! The skills and experiences gained through academia, such as critical thinking, research and analysis, and project management, are highly transferable to many non-academic careers. It's important to highlight these skills and how they can benefit the specific job or industry you are applying to.