Exploring Changing Electric Field Line Patterns: Theories and Names

In summary, The conversation is about the speaker trying to remember a topic related to changing electric field line patterns due to moving charges. They recall two names associated with theories on this topic, but cannot remember the names. They have searched extensively but have not found anything. Another person suggests the names Lienard and Wiechart, but the speaker is not sure if this is what they are looking for. They will take another look at those names.
Dadface
I hope someone here can help me and jog my memory. Some time back I was reading something on this forum which struck me as being a bit strange but nevertheless interesting. I made a mental note of coming back to the topic and taking a proper look at it But the trouble is I've forgotten the details and I can't find any references to it.

It was related to changing electric field line patterns due to moving charges. I can remember that there were two names connected with theories associated with these changes but I can't remember the names of the people involved.. I seem to remember that one theory was more detailed than the other but that each theory had certain weaknesses.

I have spent a lot of time searching but have come up with nothing.
Thank you if you can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you Dale. I came across Lienard Wichert in my earlier searches and it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. From what I recall the approach I came across originally was based on field line diagrams and the two physicists were mentioned separately one approach being more detailed than the other. I will take another look at Lienard and Wiechart.
Thank you

1. How do field patterns change over time?

The change in field patterns over time is influenced by various factors such as natural events, human activities, and climate change. Natural events like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and geomagnetic storms can cause sudden changes in field patterns. Human activities like mining and drilling also contribute to changes in field patterns. Furthermore, the Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing due to the movement of molten iron in its core, which can lead to shifts in field patterns over time.

2. Can field patterns reverse completely?

Yes, field patterns can reverse completely in a process known as a geomagnetic reversal. This occurs when the Earth's magnetic field flips so that the magnetic north and south poles switch positions. This reversal has happened multiple times throughout the Earth's history, with the last one occurring about 780,000 years ago.

3. How do scientists study changing field patterns?

Scientists study changing field patterns by using various techniques, including satellite measurements, ground-based observatories, and paleomagnetic studies. Satellites can provide continuous measurements of the Earth's magnetic field, while ground-based observatories can provide more detailed information about specific locations. Paleomagnetic studies involve analyzing the magnetic properties of rocks to understand the Earth's magnetic field in the past.

4. Can changes in field patterns affect our daily lives?

Yes, changes in field patterns can have an impact on our daily lives. The Earth's magnetic field protects us from harmful solar radiation and cosmic rays, and any changes in its strength or direction can affect the amount of radiation that reaches the Earth's surface. This can potentially impact our health and the performance of electronic devices, such as satellites and navigation systems, which rely on the Earth's magnetic field for accurate positioning.

5. Are changes in field patterns related to climate change?

The relationship between changes in field patterns and climate change is still being studied. Some research suggests that changes in the Earth's magnetic field can influence the climate by affecting the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface. However, the extent of this impact is not yet fully understood, and more research is needed to determine the exact relationship between field patterns and climate change.