Exploring Conditions for Set $B$ to be a Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a set $B$ to satisfy in order for the relation $B \times B$ to be a function. The conversation also touches on the definition of a set and the use of symbols in mathematical statements. The participants consider examples to better understand the concepts being discussed.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

Let $B$ be a nonempty set. Does it stand that $\bigcap \mathcal{P}B=\mathcal{P} \bigcap B$? Is the set $B \times B$ always a function? If not, what condition should $B$ satisfy, so that the relation $B \times B$ is a function?

Let $x \in \bigcap \mathcal{P}B$. Then $\forall b \in \mathcal{P}B(x \in b)$.
We want to show that $x \in \mathcal \bigcap B$, so, that $x \subset \bigcap B$.
How could we do this? (Thinking)

I thought that the set $B$ is not always a set, only when this condition is satified: if $<d,e> \in B$ and $<d,f> \in B$, then $e=f$. Am I right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Let $B$ be a nonempty set. Does it stand that $\bigcap \mathcal{P}B=\mathcal{P} \bigcap B$? Is the set $B \times B$ always a function? If not, what condition should $B$ satisfy, so that the relation $B \times B$ is a function?
It would be nice at least to start a new paragraph for the second question.

$\bigcap\mathcal{P}B=\varnothing$ because $\varnothing\in\mathcal{P}B$.

evinda said:
I thought that the set $B$ is not always a set
I think a set is always a set. (Smile) The set $B\times B$ is a function iff $|B|\le 1$.

evinda said:
only when this condition is satified: if $<d,e> \in B$ and $<d,f> \in B$, then $e=f$.
If $B$ is a relation, then you are right.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$\bigcap\mathcal{P}B=\varnothing$ because $\varnothing\in\mathcal{P}B$.

Could you explain me further why $\bigcap\mathcal{P}B=\varnothing$? (Worried)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I think a set is always a set. (Smile) The set $B\times B$ is a function iff $|B|\le 1$.
(Blush) How do we conclude this? :confused:

Evgeny.Makarov said:
If $B$ is a relation, then you are right.

So, this condition doesn't stand just for sets, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Could you explain me further why $\bigcap\mathcal{P}B=\varnothing$?

How do we conclude this?
You should consider examples to see why this is so.

evinda said:
So, this condition doesn't stand just for sets, right?
Could you say again what statement precisely are we considering?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You should consider examples to see why this is so.

I will think about it... (Thinking)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Could you say again what statement precisely are we considering?

We want a condition for $B$, so that $B \times B$ is a function.

I thought that $B \times B$ is a function if the following stands:

$$xBy \wedge xBz \rightarrow y=z$$

But, this stands only for relations, right?

How can we find then a condition? :confused:

evinda said:

This is not correct. What does $xBy$ even mean?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This is not correct. What does $xBy$ even mean?

I thought that it means $\langle x,y \rangle \in B$. Am I wrong? (Worried)

evinda said:
I thought that it means $\langle x,y \rangle \in B$. Am I wrong?
OK, this is the standard definition. Though $xBy$ would not make sense if $B$ is a set of integers.

evinda said:

Where did you get this from? What if $B=\{1,2\}$, then what does $xBy$ mean?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
OK, this is the standard definition. Though $xBy$ would not make sense if $B$ is a set of integers.

Where did you get this from? What if $B=\{1,2\}$, then what does $xBy$ mean?

I don't know.. (Worried) So, it doesn't stand for any set, only for relations, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, it doesn't stand for any set, only for relations, right?
I am still not sure what exactly you mean by "it" in the quote above. You could get a better idea if you considered some examples.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I am still not sure what exactly you mean by "it" in the quote above. You could get a better idea if you considered some examples.

I meant the condition: $xRy \wedge xRz \rightarrow y=z$.

evinda said:
I meant the condition: $xRy \wedge xRz \rightarrow y=z$.
No, you didn't. In post #9, you said, "it doesn't stand". To stand (the correct word is "to hold" or "be true"), you need to provide the exact value of $R$. Only when $R$ is given, you can say whether $xRy \wedge xRz \rightarrow y=z$ holds or nor. In post #5, rather, you said: "$B\times B$ is a function if the following stands: $xBy\land xBz\to y=z$. This statement (not "sentence") does not make sense when $B$ is not a set of pairs, e.g., when $B=\{1,2\}$. So I am still not sure about the exact statement you mean. You could get a better idea of it if you considered some examples.

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of elements, where each element in one set is mapped to exactly one element in the other set. In other words, for every input, there is only one output.

2. How do you determine if a set $B$ is a function?

To determine if a set $B$ is a function, you need to check if each element in the domain (input) is mapped to a unique element in the range (output). This means that there should be no two elements in the domain that have the same output in the range.

3. What are the conditions for set $B$ to be a function?

The main condition for set $B$ to be a function is that each element in the domain must have a unique mapping to an element in the range. This means that there should be no two elements in the domain that have the same output in the range. Additionally, the domain and range should be well-defined and the mapping should be consistent.

4. How do you express a function?

A function can be expressed in various ways, such as using a formula, a table, a graph, or a verbal description. For example, the function $f(x)=2x+1$ can be expressed as a formula, a table, or a graph.

5. Can a set $B$ be both a function and a relation?

Yes, a set $B$ can be both a function and a relation. A relation is a broader concept that describes the relationship between two sets, where each element in one set can be mapped to multiple elements in the other set. A function, on the other hand, is a specific type of relation where each element in one set is only mapped to one element in the other set. Therefore, all functions are relations, but not all relations are functions.