Exploring Crystal Defect Propagation: The Future of Light-Based Computers?

• Thread starter John Lutz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    crystals
In summary, exploring crystal defect propagation has led to promising advancements in the development of light-based computers. By utilizing the properties of defects in crystals, such as their ability to trap and emit light, researchers are working towards creating faster and more efficient computing systems. These advancements have the potential to revolutionize the way we process and store information, paving the way for a future of light-based computing. However, there are still challenges to overcome, such as controlling and manipulating defects at the nanoscale level. Nonetheless, the future looks bright for the use of crystal defects in creating powerful and innovative light-based computers.
John Lutz
I'm a coder by trade. Been coding since 1991 professionally. I have always followed
science but recently got very interested in crystals after watching the original Superman.

I firmly believe that the future of light based computers will by crystal and storage for
both of what we consider RAM and hard drive will be, instead encased in crystal.

If anyone else is interested please let me know. It fascinates me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi John,

Welcome, I hope you learn a lot and have some fun. Just FYI, the semiconductor crystals used to make CPU and RAM chips are the purest crystals known to humanity, and are far, far more pure than any naturally occurring crystal. You may be interested in reading an introductory text on semiconductor device physics that goes into some detail on semiconductor crystals and how they are made to be so pure. It's fascinating stuff!

Cheers!

Likes berkeman