Exploring Curious Questions About The Universe

• Thread starter Diffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary: If you had a spaceship at the edge of the universe, and this spaceship could travel faster than the universe is expanding, what would happened if you tried to travel outside its boarder? Would you crash into the boarder like a brick wall? This is a very common question here. The question is flawed because the universe has no edge. If you had a satellite one light year away, that had amazing video capabilities so much so that when pointed at the Earth you could see people moving. And somehow you were able to access this video feed faster than the speed of light, would this be a mechanism for looking into the past? Well, I guess. I suppose the tooth fairy could exist too if we decide to just say she exists. I'm
Diffy
The first two are theoretical. Please excuse grammatical and spelling errors.

If you had a spaceship at the edge of the universe, and this spaceship could travel faster than the universe is expanding, what would happened if you tried to travel outside its boarder? Would you crash into the boarder like a brick wall?

If you had a satellite one light year away, that had amazing video capabilities so much so that when pointed at the Earth you could see people moving. And somehow you were able to access this video feed faster than the speed of light, would this be a mechanism for looking into the past?

I heard that black holes are much like the concept of a mathematical singularity. The center (if you will) of a singularity is a point. Are the center of black holes points (in the Euclidean sense "that which has no part") or does the center have some substance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Diffy said:
If you had a spaceship at the edge of the universe, and this spaceship could travel faster than the universe is expanding, what would happened if you tried to travel outside its boarder? Would you crash into the boarder like a brick wall?
This is a very common question here. The question is flawed because the universe has no edge.
If you had a satellite one light year away, that had amazing video capabilities so much so that when pointed at the Earth you could see people moving. And somehow you were able to access this video feed faster than the speed of light, would this be a mechanism for looking into the past?
Well, I guess. I suppose the tooth fairy could exist too if we decide to just say she exists. I'm not sure what the point of such questions is...
I heard that black holes are much like the concept of a mathematical singularity. The center (if you will) of a singularity is a point. Are the center of black holes points (in the Euclidean sense "that which has no part") or does the center have some substance.
I'm not sure if that is really known, but perhaps someone else has some insight...

The image you received from the satellite would be 2 years old [earth time].

Chronos said:
The image you received from the satellite would be 2 years old [earth time].

He's talking about accessing the video feed with an FTL signal, so I think the images would be 1 year old. However, Diffy, if you just let the sattelite beam the signal back to Earth, then the video would be one year old. OTOH, if the sattelite were in LEO, you could just wait a yearto watch the film. Any stored video image is a way of looking into the past.

he cventer of a BH is indeed believed to be a singularity, so named because it is a single point is spacetime. I have my doubts about this conclusion, but the maintream seems to use this as the model, at least when describing Black Holes to the laity.

Thanks all,

I really love this stuff, I wish I could take some classes to learn more. Do you know if there are any astronomical jobs one could be qualified for with a PhD in Mathematics? What would they entail?

A black hole singularity is most often not a point. Stars spin and thus have a property called angular momentum. Angular momentum cannot be lost or destroyed. A point cannot exhibit rotation and cannot therefore have angular momentum. Roy Kerr realized this and solved Einstein’s field equations for a spinning singularity, now called a Kerr Ring Singularity. The mass of a spinning star collapses into a thin ring with the diameter of the Planck scale and zero height, i.e., a space with zero volume.

Related to Exploring Curious Questions About The Universe

1. What is the universe made of?

The universe is made up of both visible matter (such as stars, planets, and galaxies) and invisible matter (such as dark matter) that cannot be directly observed. About 5% of the universe is made up of visible matter, while the remaining 95% is made up of dark matter and dark energy.

2. How old is the universe?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is about 13.8 billion years. This age is determined by measuring the expansion rate of the universe and extrapolating backwards to when all matter and energy were concentrated in a single point, known as the Big Bang.

3. Is the universe infinite?

The observable universe, which is the portion of the universe that we can see and measure, is not infinite. However, it is currently unknown whether the entire universe is infinite or if it has a finite size. Scientists are still studying and exploring this question.

4. How are galaxies formed?

Galaxies are formed through a process known as gravitational collapse, where gas and dust in the universe come together due to their own gravity and form stars and planets. These stars and planets then come together to form galaxies, which are held together by their own gravity as well.

5. What is the fate of the universe?

The fate of the universe is still a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, while others predict a "Big Rip" where the universe will eventually tear apart. However, it is currently impossible to predict the exact fate of the universe with certainty.