Exploring Electric Fields: Sphere of Radius R=10 cm

In summary: Your first point:we are going to find the formula for the other situations in the same manner. We need to change the charges dependence on r.point two:I am not saying the E field is constant outside of the sphere. I am saying that the enclosed charge is constant outside of the sphere. You should be able to differentiate between these two things.
Cryphonus

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R=10 cm made of insulating material has a uniform charge density p=100 C/m-3

a)Find the magnitude of the electrical field at a distance r<R, using Gauss' Law.What is the value of the electric field at r=5 cm?
b)What is the total charge on this sphere?
c)Find the magnitude of the electric field at a distance r>R using Gauss' Law.What is the value of the electrical field at r=10cm? At r=20 cm?
e)Take the voltage at r=0 to be 0 Volts.Find the Voltage V(r) at any r by integrating the Electrical field E(r) along the radial direction.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law= [tex]\oint[/tex]E.ds=Qinside/E0 (permittivity constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to do b) since the density is provided to us we only have to find the Q from d= Q/V, V is 4/3Pi R3... but i certainly do need help with other questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will start by helping you with part (a).

on the left hand side of Gauss' equation we are able to move the E field through the surface integral. why?

side note: (are you in calculus based physics or algebra based?)

srmeier said:
I will start by helping you with part (a).

on the left hand side of Gauss' equation we are able to move the E field through the surface integral. why?

side note: (are you in calculus based physics or algebra based?)

We are able to move the E field through the surface integral because the electric field is parallel with the surface vector of that area am i right?

(Calculus based physics)

precisely!

now, we can modify our equation a little.

[tex]E\oint{dA}=\frac{Q_{en}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

what is [tex]\oint{dA}[/tex] equal to?

[tex]\oint{dA}[/tex] equals to surface area i assume?

yes, now how would one express the charge in term of the charge density?

(remember that we desire an express in terms of the radius)

well, charge density should be equal to total charge/Volume,,, and volume can be expressed as a function of the radius.

right, so this is our expression:

[tex]E4\pi r^2=\frac{\rho 4 \pi r^3}{3\epsilon_0}[/tex]

does this make sense to you?

Last edited:
srmeier said:
right, so this is our expression:

[tex]E4\pi r^2=\frac{\rho 4 \pi r^3}{3\epsilon_0}[/tex]

does this make sense to you?

To be honest i haven't seen this around before, would be glad if you can tell me the way that you calculated such a formula?

We just calculated it together:

[tex]E[/tex]= electric field
[tex]4 \pi r^2[/tex]= surface area of a sphere =[tex]\oint dA[/tex]
[tex]\rho=\frac{Q_{en}}{V_s}[/tex] (where V is the volume of the sphere.)

so [tex]\frac{\rho 4 \pi r^3}{3}=Q_{en}[/tex]

what doesn't make sense?

right! i got it now. its all clear now :)

So how are we going to plug this to the question. It feels like there is still things that I am missing ?

(sorry I went out to eat, I am back now for 15mins then I have class just f.y.i)

nothing is missing just plug in what is known and solve for the E field.

Note that this is the E field for only 0<r<R

thats ok =). I have a question about that.What changes when we take a point that is greater than our radius, and when we take a point that is smaller than the radius, which is actually within the sphere.

Cryphonus said:
thats ok =). I have a question about that.What changes when we take a point that is greater than our radius, and when we take a point that is smaller than the radius, which is actually within the sphere.

The charge enclosed changes from linear to constant.

When: 0<r<R

the charge enclosed is a function of the radius. This is quite intuitive because the closer we get to R the more charge we have enclosed.

When: R<r<infinity

the charge enclosed is a constant function. This is also quite intuitive because there is no charge outside the sphere which would add to the enclosed charge.

srmeier said:
Note that this is the E field for only 0<r<R

Ok that makes sense except 2 points;

First how are we going to find the formula for the other situation, what do we need to change?

Second one;

For the situation, R<r<infinity , this actually means the point we are considering is somewhere out of the sphere.Are you saying that the E field is constant for all the points that is left out of the sphere?, shouldn't it be decreasing with proportional to 1/d2

Your first point:
we are going to find the formula for the other situations in the same manner. We need to change the charges dependence on r.

point two:
I am not saying the E field is constant outside of the sphere. I am saying that the enclosed charge is constant outside of the sphere. You should be able to differentiate between these two things.

(Note: the E field will fall off inversely proportional to the radius squared)

Last edited:
Alright i understood.Thanks for all the help

Cryphonus said:
Alright i understood.Thanks for all the help

My pleasure ^^

Related to Exploring Electric Fields: Sphere of Radius R=10 cm

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object. It is the force exerted by the charged object on other charged objects in its vicinity.

2. How is an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This represents the amount of force experienced by a unit charge at a specific distance from the charged object.

3. What is the equation for calculating the electric field of a point charge?

The equation for calculating the electric field of a point charge is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

4. How does the electric field change with distance from a charged object?

The electric field strength decreases as you move further away from a charged object. This is because the electric field spreads out over a larger area as distance increases, resulting in a weaker force on other charged objects.

5. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. The relationship between electric field and electric potential is given by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, ∇ is the gradient operator, and V is the electric potential.