Exploring Emergence: Examples, Theory, and Experiments for a School Project

In summary, the concept of emergence involves the emergence of properties at one scale from interactions at another scale. Some examples of this phenomenon include the laws of classical mechanics emerging from quantum mechanics applied to large enough masses, temperature and pressure emerging from the interactions of molecules, and biological signaling networks and animal swarms. Other potential examples include glass transitions, negative refractive index materials, and coherent structures in turbulent flow.
MiKiDe
For a school project, I've got to choose a subject. I chose "Emergence", but I have to narrow it down a little bit.
So, that's why I'm creating this topic.

The definition of emergence that I use:
By emergence, I mean the fact that proprieties of one scale implies other proprieties by changing scale. This process is called emergence.

My question :
Do you have any example of emergence that may be interesting to study?

For this subject, I'd like:
- To show mathematically that one theory implies proprieties in another scale.
- that it has to deal with the term "interaction".
- And if possible, to make some experiment.

I hope my question is clear enough (and I'm sorry if I made some mistakes in English, I tried not to...).

Thanks in advance to all :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. I already read this, but I'm looking for more specific example.
For example, it is said that "The laws of classical mechanics can be said to emerge as a limiting case from the Rules of Quantum Mechanics applied to large enough masses": do you have any example of this?

MiKiDe said:
Thanks for your answer. I already read this, but I'm looking for more specific example.
For example, it is said that "The laws of classical mechanics can be said to emerge as a limiting case from the Rules of Quantum Mechanics applied to large enough masses": do you have any example of this?

I think the implication of emergence is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Classical mechanics doesn't "emerge" from QM in the same sense .

MiKiDe said:
I'm looking for more specific example.
What about temperature and pressure?

MiKiDe said:
My question :
Do you have any example of emergence that may be interesting to study?

"Interesting" is subjective, but a few examples are:

glass transition
biological signalling networks
left-handed/negative refractive index materials
large-scale coherent structures in turbulent flow

1. What is emergence?

Emergence is a term used to describe the phenomenon of complex systems or patterns arising from simple interactions between individual components. It refers to the idea that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

2. Can you provide examples of emergence?

Some common examples of emergence include ant colonies, flocking behavior of birds, traffic flow, and the formation of snowflakes. In each of these cases, complex patterns emerge from the interactions of individual entities.

3. How is emergence related to chaos theory?

Emergence and chaos theory are closely related as they both focus on the behavior of complex systems. However, while chaos theory studies the behavior of systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions, emergence looks at the emergence of patterns or behaviors that are not predictable from the behavior of individual components.

4. What are some experiments that can be done to explore emergence?

Some experiments that can be done to explore emergence include creating simulations of different systems and observing how patterns emerge, conducting experiments with ant colonies or other social insects, and building and testing models of emergent systems in a controlled environment.

5. How can understanding emergence be useful in a school project?

Understanding emergence can be useful in a school project as it can help students understand how complex systems work and how patterns can arise from simple interactions. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills as students explore and analyze different systems.