Exploring Eulerian Paths in Graphs with Varying Vertex Degrees

• MHB
  • Thread starter Joystar77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, a graph with vertex set V = {v1, v2, v3, v4, v5} and degrees of 5, 1, 0, 6, 2, respectively, does not have an Eulerian path because there is no (simple) graph on five vertices with these degrees. However, if a connected graph has zero or two odd vertices, it can have an Eulerian path. The definition of an Eulerian path is a trail that contains each edge exactly once.
Joystar77
Let G be a graph with vertex set V = {v1, v2, v3, v4, v5}.

If the degrees of the vertices are 5, 1, 0, 6, 2, respectively, does G have an Eulerian path? Why or why not?

2E= deg v1 + deg v2 + deg v3 + deg v4 + deg v5

2E = 5 + 1 + 0 + 6 + 2

2E = 14

E = 7

Is it correct to say that G does have an Eulerian path because it can happen if the graph has either 0 or 2 vertices with odd degrees? Even an incomplete graph with the degree of 0 at one or more vertices can have an Eulerian path.

Is it correct to say that G doesn't have an Eulerian path because the path is suppose to pass through all edges exactly once?

Physics news on Phys.org
Joystar1977 said:

If the degrees of the vertices are 5, 1, 0, 6, 2, respectively, does G have an Eulerian path? Why or why not?

2E= deg v1 + deg v2 + deg v3 + deg v4 + deg v5

2E = 5 + 1 + 0 + 6 + 2

2E = 14

E = 7

Is it correct to say that G does have an Eulerian path because it can happen if the graph has either 0 or 2 vertices with odd degrees? Even an incomplete graph with the degree of 0 at one or more vertices can have an Eulerian path.
I don't understand your argument here. Can you restate this?

Joystar1977 said:
Is it correct to say that G doesn't have an Eulerian path because the path is suppose to pass through all edges exactly once?
This is not an argument which establishes the inexistence of an Eulerian path in the graph.

I think that there is no graph on five vertices which has 5, 1, 0, 6, 2 as the degrees of its vertices. So it doesn't make sense to ask if there is an Eulerian path in such a Graph.

This is a question for one of my problems on my assignment and states the following:

If the degrees of the vertices are 5, 1, 0, 6, 2, respectively, how many edges are in G?

I was told that an Eulerian path is a path which passes all edges exactly once. This can happen if the graph has either 0 or 2 vertices with odd degrees. Even an incomplete graph (with degree 0 at one or more vertices) can have an Eulerian path.

My question was that is it correct to say the following:

G does have an Eulerian path because it can take place even if the graph has 0 or many vertices to where you end up with an odd degree?

I don't want to confuse myself any more than what I already am with this problem.
Quote Originally Posted by Joystar1977 View Post

caffeinemachine said:
I don't understand your argument here. Can you restate this?This is not an argument which establishes the inexistence of an Eulerian path in the graph.

I think that there is no graph on five vertices which has 5, 1, 0, 6, 2 as the degrees of its vertices. So it doesn't make sense to ask if there is an Eulerian path in such a Graph.

Joystar1977 said:
This is a question for one of my problems on my assignment and states the following:

If the degrees of the vertices are 5, 1, 0, 6, 2, respectively, how many edges are in G?

I was told that an Eulerian path is a path which passes all edges exactly once. This can happen if the graph has either 0 or 2 vertices with odd degrees. Even an incomplete graph (with degree 0 at one or more vertices) can have an Eulerian path.

My question was that is it correct to say the following:

G does have an Eulerian path because it can take place even if the graph has 0 or many vertices to where you end up with an odd degree?

I don't want to confuse myself any more than what I already am with this problem.
About the thing marked in red.. An Eulerian path is not a path! An Eulerian path is a trail, in general, which contains each edge exactly once.

Its true that if a connected Graph has zero or two odd vertices then it has an Eulerian Path. But here the problem is that there is no (simple) graph on $5$ vertices which has 5,1,0,6,2 as the degrees of its vertices. So the question in meaningless.

About the thing marked in blue. I don't understand what you are trying to say here. You may need to rephrase that.

I would say that it is correct to say that G does have an Eulerian path because the necessary condition for an Eulerian path is that the graph must have either 0 or 2 vertices with odd degrees. In this case, G has only one vertex with an odd degree, which satisfies this condition. However, it is important to note that having an Eulerian path does not guarantee that the path will pass through all edges exactly once. In this case, the path may pass through some edges multiple times and still be considered an Eulerian path. So while G does have an Eulerian path, it may not necessarily pass through all edges exactly once.

What are degrees of vertices?

Degrees of vertices refer to the number of edges connected to a specific vertex in a graph. It is a measure of the connectivity of the graph.

How are degrees of vertices calculated?

The degree of a vertex is calculated by counting the number of edges that are connected to that vertex. In a directed graph, the in-degree and out-degree are calculated separately.

What is the importance of degrees of vertices in graph theory?

Degrees of vertices are important in determining the properties of a graph, such as connectivity, paths, and cycles. They also help in identifying important nodes in a network, such as hubs and bridges.

What is the difference between in-degree and out-degree?

In-degree refers to the number of edges that are directed towards a specific vertex, while out-degree refers to the number of edges that originate from a specific vertex. In a directed graph, the in-degree and out-degree can be different for a single vertex.

How is the degree sequence of a graph related to degrees of vertices?

The degree sequence of a graph is a list of all the degrees of the vertices in a graph, arranged in ascending or descending order. The degree sequence provides valuable information about the structure of the graph and can help in identifying certain types of graphs, such as regular or complete graphs.