Exploring Flavour Neutrino Masses: What Happens When We Measure Them Directly?

In summary, the KATRIN experiment is looking for evidence of three mass eigenvalues, but they may not be able to see any difference between them.
Daaavde
Hello everyone! I've a question regarding the neutrino masses.

When neutrinos interact they must do so in a specific flavour (e.g. e, μ,τ) and if we go to find out what their flavour is at the interaction we get a specific answer.

However, it is not clear to me what we would find out if we were, hypothetically, to directly measure their mass at the interaction.

Let's assume we know the masses of the three mass eigenstates (and let's restrict ourselves to the 3 flavours scenario). If I were to measure the mass of electron neutrinos emitted by β decays would I find a single peak centred at the linear combination (given by the elements of the PMNS matrix) of the three masses values or three peaks centred on the values of the three mass eigenstates?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would find three peaks, corresponding to the mass eigenstates, with their relative intensities given by the composition of the electron neutrino. This is a purely hypothetical scenario of course.

Likes Daaavde
I see, thank you very much. I was just puzzled by the KATRIN experiment.
They claim that they would potentially see a drop-off at the neutrino mass, however that confuses me.
Since the neutrino potentially carries the three masses eigenvalues, wouldn't they rather see (hypothetical infinite resolution scenario here) two kinks at the values at which the two heaviest mass eigenstates lie and then a drop-off at the lightest?

Daaavde said:
Since the neutrino potentially carries the three masses eigenvalues, wouldn't they rather see (hypothetical infinite resolution scenario here) two kinks at the values at which the two heaviest mass eigenstates lie and then a drop-off at the lightest?

Yes, but this is a detail. First they have to establish that they see something other than zero. Then people can take the next step and determine what values of mass are allowed by the data.

At the precision of KATRIN, you would stand essentially no chance to separate the masses. It is therefore a good approximation to work with an effective neutrino mass.

If the neutrino masses are large enough to be visible by KATRIN (>200 meV) - which would contradict limits from cosmology - then all three neutrino masses are extremely close together, within ~5 meV.
The absolute mass differences could be larger, but only with lighter neutrinos (the maximal difference is about 50 meV if one or two types are extremely light).

What are flavour neutrino masses?

Flavour neutrino masses refer to the masses of the three different types of neutrinos: electron neutrino, muon neutrino, and tau neutrino. These particles are considered to be massless in the Standard Model of particle physics, but recent experiments have shown that they do have tiny masses.

How are flavour neutrino masses measured?

Flavour neutrino masses are measured through a process called neutrino oscillation. This occurs when neutrinos change from one type to another as they travel through space. By studying these oscillations, scientists can infer the differences in masses between the different neutrino types.

What is the significance of flavour neutrino masses?

The discovery of flavour neutrino masses challenges the current understanding of particle physics and may provide clues about new physics beyond the Standard Model. It also has implications for the evolution of the universe and the formation of galaxies.

How do flavour neutrino masses affect neutrino behavior?

The masses of neutrinos influence their behavior, such as how they interact with other particles and how they oscillate between different types. Understanding these masses is crucial for studying the properties of neutrinos and their role in the universe.

Are there any ongoing research efforts on flavour neutrino masses?

Yes, there are many ongoing research efforts to further understand and measure flavour neutrino masses. These include experiments like the Super-Kamiokande and IceCube detectors, as well as proposed future experiments such as DUNE and Hyper-Kamiokande.