Exploring Fresh Ideas for Wind Energy Harvesting

In summary, there is a lot of talk about big projects to gather energy from wind, with some ideas already in use such as using large stretches of canvas to redirect wind and creating multiple stages along a rotor or steel cable. However, there are concerns about the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of these ideas, as well as their potential ecological impact. Some suggest instead finding natural locations, like mountain passes, for windmills to take advantage of already existing wind redirection. Others believe that windmills can be seen as an eyesore and should not be forced upon the public.
MIC
There is a lot of talk about big projects to gather energy from wind. I have two ideas I don't see used that I was wondering about.

1. Using large stretches of canvas to redirect wind from a large cross sectional area to a smaller outlet, like some kind of wind nozzle. It would also form a low pressure area on the one side of the canvas which may also be utilized.

2. having multiple stages along a rotor or steel cable. Maybe with more blades on the rotor a larger generator could be used.

Just a couple ideas here, I am interested in what you think of these ideas, any other ideas, and where I could find more simulated or real models of some windfarm systems.

Engineering news on Phys.org
MIC said:
There is a lot of talk about big projects to gather energy from wind. I have two ideas I don't see used that I was wondering about.

1. Using large stretches of canvas to redirect wind from a large cross sectional area to a smaller outlet, like some kind of wind nozzle. It would also form a low pressure area on the one side of the canvas which may also be utilized.

2. having multiple stages along a rotor or steel cable. Maybe with more blades on the rotor a larger generator could be used.

Just a couple ideas here, I am interested in what you think of these ideas, any other ideas, and where I could find more simulated or real models of some windfarm systems.

Cool idea about the canvas, but whatever structures you build will have to be very sturdy, and cost effective.

I live near the Altamont Pass in Northern California, and those hills are covered with a number of different types of windmills. The newest ones are much larger and designed to turn at slower speeds, to minimize smacking birds (they turn slowly enough for birds to dodge the blades). Here are some links to info on the Altamont Pass and wind farms:

http://www.google.com/search?source...z=1T4SUNA_en___US232&q=altamont+pass+windmill

please tell me the desgin of wind turbine that output energy is 12V DC in our area the wind speed is near 10 to 15 km or above but at some time 5 or less so in this condition send the desgion of wind mill
thanks
panhwar2008@yahoo.com

Note: when wind velocities exceed a value, for this example let us say 50km/h, the turbine rotors are feathered - ie., rotated so as to reduce the rotational speed. At some higher velocity, the turbine is taken offline.

I think a canvas funnel could exacerbate the above problem. Bernoulli effect. Plus the shape of the airfoil is pretty cleverly designed to maximize lift-to-drag ratios over a broad range of wind velocities.

http://www.awea.org/faq/basicop.html

Last edited by a moderator:
how much cost of these products

jim mcnamara said:
I think a canvas funnel could exacerbate the above problem. Bernoulli effect. Plus the shape of the airfoil is pretty cleverly designed to maximize lift-to-drag ratios over a broad range of wind velocities.
Alternately a funnel could allow a small high speed turbine to run efficently!

There is a similair wave power idea. Instead of having large low speed turbines to cope with a range of tidal flow rates - the incoming water fills a tank and compresses the air above it which then goes through a small high speed turbine, valves then switch the flow so the turbine runs in the same direction as the water drops and the air rushes back in.

MIC said:
Keep in mind that simpler is better, and more direct is ... more better.

The more "handling" of the wind results in more energy lost to friction.

More components means more expensive to construct and maintain.

The other problem with the canvas funnel idea is how you turn it into the wind...

Plus how do you stop it blowing away in a gale...

Windmills in US $ vary from 550 -> 3000 for 12V DC turbines, depending on the battery storage system and other factors.

Most of these are small with rotors < 1.5m, and meant to be mounted above treetop height on a pole. A cheap one produces circa ~400 Watts 12V DC @wind speed of 30 kmh

zeitghost said:
The other problem with the canvas funnel idea is how you turn it into the wind...

Plus how do you stop it blowing away in a gale...

Plus the ecological impact on flora and fauna.
And it would be an eyesore.

Instead of building funnels to guide the winds, it might be a smart move to site windmills in locations (like a pass between a couple of large mountains) where the terrain accomplishes this for you at no cost. If there are reliable prevailing winds and you can get a decent increase in wind velocity, it would be a no-brainer. There is a lot of talk here in Maine about siting windmills on ridge-tops and the major objections in most cases are aesthetic in nature. Proposed wind-farm projects in the vicinity of the Appalachian Trail are always attacked because they would "spoil the wilderness". I wonder if the hikers would really mind looking over at a row of windmills generating clean renewable electricity? I think they would be happy to see that a segment of the population is working to achieve some independence from fossil fuels.

turbo-1 said:
I wonder if the hikers would really mind looking over at a row of windmills generating clean renewable electricity? I think they would be happy to see that a segment of the population is working to achieve some independence from fossil fuels.
I would mind. It shouldn't be shoved in our faces, as if it were the be-all and end-all of our existence.

I haven't been on in a while, I am new here and it is good to see one of my posts receiving a bunch of attention.
It seems that it would be cheaper to have many small, faster spinning blades turning one big generator. It would help for mass production tasks, reduce the amount of copper for windings, and help with mechanical problems like harmonics.
Also, instead of spinning the blades to slow down a large turbine in fast wind, why not make a structure which makes it possible to extract extra energy present in a large storm system? Maybe something to straighten the wind during chaotic conditions.
It seems to me that we need to make improvements because we need to produce a lot of electricity.

1. What is wind energy harvesting?

Wind energy harvesting is the process of harnessing the power of wind to generate electricity. This is typically done through the use of wind turbines, which capture the kinetic energy of the wind and convert it into electrical energy.

2. How does wind energy harvesting work?

Wind energy harvesting works by using wind turbines to capture the kinetic energy of the wind. The turbines are equipped with blades that rotate when the wind blows, which in turn spins a generator to produce electricity. The electricity is then sent to a power grid for distribution.

3. What are the benefits of wind energy harvesting?

There are several benefits to wind energy harvesting, including its renewable and sustainable nature. Wind is a naturally occurring resource that will not deplete, making it a reliable source of energy. It also produces no air or water pollution, making it a clean and environmentally-friendly option for power generation. Additionally, wind energy can help reduce reliance on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions.

4. What are some challenges with wind energy harvesting?

One of the main challenges with wind energy harvesting is its intermittency. Wind is not constant and can vary in strength and direction, making it difficult to rely on as a sole source of energy. This is why wind farms are often located in areas with consistent wind patterns. Additionally, the construction and maintenance of wind turbines can be costly and require specialized equipment and expertise.

5. How can we continue to explore fresh ideas for wind energy harvesting?

There are several ways to explore fresh ideas for wind energy harvesting. One approach is to continue researching and developing new and improved wind turbine technology. This could include advancements in blade design, materials, and storage capabilities. Another approach is to explore alternative locations for wind farms, such as offshore or high-altitude areas. Additionally, incorporating other renewable energy sources, like solar or hydro power, can help address the intermittency issue and create a more reliable and sustainable energy system.