Exploring Gauss Principle of Less Constraints & Gibbs-Apell Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of information on the Gauss principle of less constraints and the Gibbs-Apell equations in the usual literature on analytical mechanics, with the only mention found in Lanczos's "The Variational Principle of Mechanics". The individual is seeking introductory and readable sources on the topic, such as Pars's "A Treatise on Analytical Dynamics" and Papastavridis's "Analytical Mechanics: A Comprehensive Treatise on the Dynamics of Constrained Systems". The conversation also briefly mentions Pars's use of "f" for acceleration, which is deemed as the worst notation ever, and Whittaker's similar use of the same notation in his work.
andresB
In the usual literature about analytical mechanics, I find very little about the Gauss principle of less constraints and the Gibbs-Apell equations. I think the only treatment I've seen on Gauss is given In Lanczos's The variational principle of mechanics".

So, I'm looking for introductory and readable books and other sources about the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pars A Treatise on Analytical Dynamics
Papastavridis Analytical Mechanics: A Comprehensive Treatise on the Dynamics of Constrained Systems

Last edited:
Likes andresB
Opening Pars after a long time, I just remembered that he writes f for the acceleration. Worst. Notation. Ever.

• Haha
Likes Frabjous
I looked at Whittaker and he also uses f. So maybe early 20th Century Britain had not been exposed to the wonders of a. He talks briefly about your stuff in Chapter 9.

• Informative
Likes Mr.Husky

1. What is the Gauss Principle of Less Constraints?

The Gauss Principle of Less Constraints is a mathematical principle that states that the number of independent constraints required to fully define a system is equal to the number of degrees of freedom of that system. In other words, the minimum number of constraints needed to uniquely determine the state of a system is equal to the number of variables that can vary independently.

2. How is the Gauss Principle of Less Constraints used in science?

The Gauss Principle of Less Constraints is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to determine the minimum number of measurements or conditions needed to fully describe a system. This principle is also used in optimization problems, where it helps to reduce the number of constraints and simplify the problem.

3. What are Gibbs-Apell Equations?

Gibbs-Apell Equations are a set of equations that describe the thermodynamic properties of a system in terms of its internal energy, entropy, and volume. These equations were developed by American physicist Josiah Willard Gibbs and German physicist Richard Apell in the 19th century. They are widely used in thermodynamics to calculate the changes in these properties of a system.

4. How do the Gibbs-Apell Equations relate to the Gauss Principle of Less Constraints?

The Gibbs-Apell Equations are based on the Gauss Principle of Less Constraints. These equations are derived from the fundamental thermodynamic relationships and the Gauss Principle of Less Constraints. They are used to determine the minimum number of independent variables needed to fully define the state of a thermodynamic system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Gauss Principle of Less Constraints & Gibbs-Apell Equations?

The Gauss Principle of Less Constraints and Gibbs-Apell Equations have numerous real-world applications. They are used in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics to model and analyze complex systems. These principles are also applied in the design of efficient and optimal systems, such as in the development of new materials and processes.