Exploring Infinite Series with Maxima: Finding Exact Sums with Analytic Programs

In summary, we discussed various methods for finding the exact sum of a given series, using either a computer or tables. We looked at the example of \sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { n } }{ { (4{ n }^{ 2 }-1) }^{ 2 } } } and discussed using analytic programs like Maxima or Mathematica, as well as Sage and WolframAlpha. We also mentioned the usefulness of partial fraction expansion and simplification methods. Ultimately, we were able to find the sum using Sage and Maxima's simplify_sum function.
kq6up

Homework Statement

From Mary Boas: Math for Phys. Sci. Ch1.15.20

20. By computer or tables, find the exact sum of each of the following series.

a. [tex] \sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { n } }{ { (4{ n }^{ 2 }-1) }^{ 2 } } } [/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A. One is supposed to use an analytic program, or a table to find this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get Maxima to give me exact answers for some really simple sums like [tex] \sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { { 1 } }{ { n }^{ 2 } } } [/tex] Is this just too much to ask Maxima? Would mathematica handle this? It has been a long time since I have used Mathematica because I prefer to use GNU software when it is available.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica can do it, but you could also do it by hand using partial fractions.

Are you familiar with Maxima? Will it do it?

Chris

kq6up said:
Are you familiar with Maxima? Will it do it?

Chris

Maple will do it, but I am not familiar with Maxima, so I cannot answer your direct question. However, people are trying to help you answer it for yourself; if you resort to a partial fraction expansion, you will get simpler sums that Maxima can undoubtedly handle.

Thanks, Bill. How powerful is Alpha compared to the actual Mathematica program?

Regards,
Chris

WolframAlpha uses much of the same underlying engine, but it won't let you define functions, won't let you use multi-character variable names and accepts a mostly-undocumented-pseudo-pidgin-english language for you to write your request in. It will accept a limited subset of Mathematica notation for input. But it is more forgiving about use of () versus {} versus [], etc. Paying for access to the Pro WolframAlpha does provide greater access to processing, but I haven't had time to do that. If I could get real documentation explaining exactly what it could do for me I'd probably try that.

I tried to get Maxima to do your problem, but unfortunately it has been too many years since I last did that and I wasn't able to find a way to get it to give me an answer. I expect it can do it, it just takes brain cells that I have misplaced. And my Macsyma (not Maxima) manuals are buried somewhere that I can't find.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for trying, Bill. I am playing around with Sage now to see what I can do. I do know Mathematica (rusty), but I really like Maxima. I find it intuitive. I think think the lease license model of Mathematica is really stupid, so if I can find a viable alternative, I would much prefer it.

The bad thing about picking up a new symbolic math program is the time it takes to figure out how do the same easy thing you already knew how to do in the old one.

Wolfram Alpha seems like it might be a stop gap in doing what Maxima cannot.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Yay! Sage gives me the sum. Pretty cool for a free program.

Regards,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
Yay! Sage gives me the sum. Pretty cool for a free program.

Regards,
Chris Maness

Yes, it is! I've got Sage too and I'm a big fan. Mind telling me how you did that?

Her is the command I used:

k=var('n'); sum(n/(4*n^2-1)^2, n, 1, oo)

Regards,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
Her is the command I used:

k=var('n'); sum(n/(4*n^2-1)^2, n, 1, oo)

Regards,
Chris Maness

Very nice! I'm not sure if Maxima can handle that on its own directly. Sage might be using sympy. Learn something new every day...

Yeah, here's the corresponding 'isympy' line:

summation(k/(4*k**2-1)**2,(k,1,oo))

Sage does a pretty good job of putting a lot of free software tools into a common wrapper. I continue to be impressed.

Last edited:
I've arrived late at the party, but for the record, here's how to find the sum with Maxima.

foo : 'sum(n/(4*n^2-1)^2, n, 1, inf);
load (simplify_sum);
simplify_sum (foo);
=> 1/8

Robert Dodier said:
I've arrived late at the party, but for the record, here's how to find the sum with Maxima.

foo : 'sum(n/(4*n^2-1)^2, n, 1, inf);
load (simplify_sum);
simplify_sum (foo);
=> 1/8

Thanks Robert Dodier! Ah, simplify_sum.

I started to use sage, and found that it was better at finding the limits of infinite sums. Since starting at CSUF I found that we get Mathematica for free, and that is even more powerful yet.

Thanks,
Chris

Related to Exploring Infinite Series with Maxima: Finding Exact Sums with Analytic Programs

What is Maxima and how does it help with finding sums?

Maxima is a computer algebra system that is used to manipulate mathematical equations and expressions. It has built-in functions and algorithms that can be used to find sums of various mathematical series and sequences.

What types of sums can be calculated using Maxima?

Maxima can calculate various types of sums, including finite sums, infinite sums, and power series. It can also handle both numeric and symbolic sums, making it a versatile tool for mathematical calculations.

Is Maxima difficult to use for finding sums?

Maxima has a user-friendly interface and a comprehensive help system, making it easy to use for both beginners and experienced users. However, it does require some familiarity with mathematical notation and syntax.

Can Maxima handle complex sums?

Yes, Maxima is capable of handling complex sums involving multiple variables and parameters. It also has the ability to simplify and manipulate the resulting sums to provide a more concise and useful solution.

Are there any limitations to using Maxima for finding sums?

While Maxima is a powerful tool for finding sums, it does have some limitations. It may struggle with extremely large or complicated sums, and it may not always provide a closed-form solution. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other methods or tools to find the desired result.