How Do Kinetic and Potential Energy Differ in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy, specifically in the context of acceleration and centripetal force. It is clarified that the equation (1/2)m(u^2) does not show PE=KE, but rather PE+KE=constant, with the use of subscripts to represent values at different points. The conversation concludes with a clear understanding of the relationship between PE and KE at the lowest point.
girlwhoneedsmathhelp
Homework Statement
I saw this in my school textbook and have no idea how they manage to get this equation :

The context is Circular Motion :
"A particle on a string, w(angular velocity) varies throughout the motion. As you saw earlier, the value of w at any instant is given by the energy equation, which in this case is :
(1/2)m(r^2)(w^2) + mgr(1+cos(theta)) = (1/2)m(u^2) where u is the speed of the particle at the lower point."

Thank You!
Relevant Equations
1/2mv^2
mrw^2
I know that (1/2)m(u^2) is KE and initially I thought this showed PE=KE but I don't think so anymore...
I believe this has something to do with acceleration and Centripetal force but I'm so so confused

Physics news on Phys.org
I can make sense of this if the configuration is like this (##+## and ##-## represent the sign of ##\cos\theta##):
20200726_141000.jpg

girlwhoneedsmathhelp said:
I thought this showed PE=KE
No, it shows PE+KE=constant.
It might be clearer if we use the subscript 0 for values at the lowest point and v for the speed at any instant. So their u is my v0.
Then we have rω=v, at all times, and PE+KE=##\frac 12mr^2\omega^2 + mgr(1+\cos(\theta))=\frac 12mv^2 + mgr(1+\cos(\theta))##.
At the lowest point, ##\theta=\pi##, the PE is zero (by choice) and the KE is ##\frac 12mv_0^2##, so ##\frac 12mr^2\omega^2 + mgr(1+\cos(\theta))=\frac 12mv_0^2##.

Ah yes I see thank you both!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition.

2. How are kinetic and potential energy related?

Kinetic and potential energy are interconvertible - as an object moves, it converts potential energy into kinetic energy, and vice versa.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a spinning top, a flying airplane, and a rolling ball.

4. What are some examples of potential energy?

Examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a raised weight, a compressed spring, and a charged battery.

5. How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy remains constant.