Exploring Magnetic Flux Path in Coil Wound on a Solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic flux in a solenoid coil when a permanent magnet is attached to its core. The experts state that the solenoid will have magnetic flux even when the other magnet is not nearby, as the flux will always take the path of least reluctance. The experts also discuss the effect of the attached magnet on the induction generated by moving the second magnet, and conclude that it may still generate some induction, but the exact effect is unknown.
Salvador
Hi, I was wondering about a simple example.take a coil wound on a solenoid, one side of the solenoid core is permanently attached to a permanent magnet S pole, the other end of the solenoid core is not attached to any magnet.
Now I take another magnet turn it with the N pole facing the solenoid and move it near and then again away from the solenoid, I get induced current in the solenoid coil.my question is this, when the other magnet's N pole is not close or near the solenoid core does the solenoid core has magnetic flux in it from the S pole of the magnet that is attached to it's other side , or does flux only enter a certain material (low reluctance in this case) when the b field has an opposite pole to go into ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Salvador said:
my question is this, when the other magnet's N pole is not close or near the solenoid core does the solenoid core has magnetic flux in it from the S pole of the magnet that is attached to it's other side , or does flux only enter a certain material (low reluctance in this case) when the b field has an opposite pole to go into ?

Yes, the solenoid will have magnetic flux from the attached magnet pole passing through it even when the other magnet is nowhere nearby. These lines will eventually loop back around to the magnets north pole.

and the reason for that is probably because even without the other pole being there the field lines loop back to the other pole of the same magnet and they loop through the solenoid core because its reluctance to field is much less than that of air so the flux will always take that path no matter what right?

ok but then i have a question, does the flux being there in the core even without the other pole affect the coil sitting on the solenoid ? I assume no.I think only when the other pole is passed by the other side of the solenoid core only then the coil on it has induction correct?
so just by having one pole constantly attached doesn't ruin or change anything I can still move the other pole near the other side and get the same amount of induction that I would get when passing both poles of both magnets from each side ?

Salvador said:
so just by having one pole constantly attached doesn't ruin or change anything I can still move the other pole near the other side and get the same amount of induction that I would get when passing both poles of both magnets from each side ?

That I don't know. You'll certainly still get some amount of induction, but I don't now how having the magnet attached to the solenoid affects the induction generated by moving the 2nd magnet.

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a helical shape. It can generate a magnetic field when electricity is passed through it.

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Weber (Wb).

How does the magnetic flux path change in a solenoid?

In a solenoid, the magnetic flux path follows the shape of the coil, with the majority of the flux concentrated in the center of the coil. As the current passing through the solenoid changes, the magnetic flux path also changes.

What factors affect the magnetic flux path in a solenoid?

The magnetic flux path in a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the current passing through the coil, and the material of the core (if present) within the coil. Additionally, the presence of other nearby magnetic fields can also impact the flux path.

How is exploring magnetic flux path in a solenoid important?

Exploring magnetic flux path in a solenoid is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnets and how they are used in various applications. It also helps in the design and optimization of solenoid systems for specific purposes, such as in motors and generators.