Exploring Mary Boas' Theorem III: Analytic Functions & Taylor Series

In summary, Mary Boas' Theorem III states that if a complex function f(z) is analytic in a region, then it has derivatives of all orders in that region. This also means that the function can be expanded in a Taylor series. However, there may be confusion about what qualifies as an analytic function and whether or not the higher order derivatives are valid. It is important to consider the region in question when determining analyticity. This concept is a fundamental and fascinating aspect of complex differentiation.
DrPapper
On page 671 Mary Boas has her Theorem III for that chapter. Roughly it tells us that if f(z) -a complex function- is analytic in a region, inside that region f(z) has derivatives of all orders. We can also expand this function in a taylor series.

I get the part about a Taylor series, that's pretty straightforward. But what does she mean about this region and the derivatives. I get that there are higher order derivatives. But I wish she would have given an example of one such function. Also, isn't analytic here only tested for by taking the first derivative? So if we do that we can't just assume that there will be higher order derivatives up to the nth order.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
DrPapper said:
Isn't analytic here only tested for by taking the first derivative? So if we do that we can't just assume that there will be higher order derivatives up to the nth order.

Ah but that is precisely the great miracle of complex differentiation ! I do not have that book but I am surprised she doesn't introduce this before. And if she doesn't, the first few pages of any introductory book on complex analysis should cover that - or have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analyticity_of_holomorphic_functions

wabbit said:
Ah but that is precisely the great miracle of complex differentiation ! I do not have that book but I am surprised she doesn't introduce this before. And if she doesn't, the first few pages of any introductory book on complex analysis should cover that - or have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analyticity_of_holomorphic_functions
I'm still confused. Say for example you have d/dx z^2 which gives by the equivalent power rule 2z, I assume the next derivative gives 2, then next is 0. So how does this satisfy the analytic for all higher derivatives theorem here? Thanks for your time and help by the way. :D

I am not sure I get your question here, it sounds as if you're saying that the higher derivatives of z2 are not immediately obvious to you. Can you clarify ?

Because if that's the case, then you're not ready to take a course in complex analysis at all. What is your background in maths, what courses have you completed ?

However if you were able to study and understand the first 670 pages of that book with no issue, then there's obviously something I'm missing here... So I'll stop speculating and will wait for your clarification:)

Last edited:
LOL yes there's been a misunderstanding. I've done multvar calc, ODEs and a few other things. I'm saying that since

d/dx z2 = 2z
d2/dx2=2
d3/dx3=0=dn>3/dn>3

And z2 is analytic then do we continue to call it analytic even though any derivative higher than the third is still just 0? If that's the case, what makes it "not" have a derivative and is not analytic? Is it simply when the derivative is such that plugging in for a value in the region that this complex function is being analyzed leads to an undefined result?

At first I was thinking well if it's going to have a derivitive by this definition we must be talking about functions like Sinz or ez but then there's the polynomial one we've discussed and it qualifies under this definition. So I'm uncertain if I get what the definition is telling me. I think perhaps it's the fact that some derivitives "explode" for certain values plugged into them, such as when your denominator gets turned into zero upon plugging in for values in a region. Is this correct?

BTW, your last response made me laugh man. LOL

OK then -
(just one detail it bugs me to see "d/dx(z2)", this should be d/dz)
Yes z2, or any polynomial for that matter, is analytic - no proof really needed, it's just an immediate application of the definition. These are in a way the "most analytic" functions one can think of. I don't understand why you think 0 is not a valid derivative, but it is.

wabbit said:
OK then -
(just one detail it bugs me to see "d/dx(z2)", this should be d/dz)
Yes z2, or any polynomial for that matter, is analytic - no proof really needed, it's just an immediate application of the definition. These are in a way the "most analytic" functions one can think of. I don't understand why you think 0 is not a valid derivative, but it is.
I wasn't saying it's not valid, though I see how I kinda did say it. LOL But I talked with a math friend and got the issue figured out. It seems it's an issue of the region that is in question. :D Thank you so much for your help though. It was a tough one to explain what my confusion was. We would have been chatting for weeks. LOL Again thank you though. :D

LOL I also just noticed what you were saying about the d/dx thing. Yeah, my mistake. I will write d/dz z2 a hundred times tonight as my punishment. I'm silly sometimes:rolleyes:.

1. What is Mary Boas' Theorem III?

Mary Boas' Theorem III is a mathematical theorem that deals with analytic functions and Taylor series. It is named after Mary L. Boas, a renowned mathematician and physicist who published the theorem in her book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences".

2. What are analytic functions?

Analytic functions are functions that can be expressed as a convergent power series. This means that these functions can be represented by an infinite sum of powers of the independent variable.

3. What is the significance of Boas' Theorem III?

Boas' Theorem III is significant because it provides a way to evaluate the coefficients of a Taylor series expansion for a given analytic function. This allows for the approximation of complex functions using a finite number of terms, making calculations and predictions more manageable.

4. Can Boas' Theorem III be applied to all analytic functions?

Yes, Boas' Theorem III can be applied to all analytic functions. This includes common functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

5. How is Boas' Theorem III used in real-world applications?

Boas' Theorem III is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to approximate values of complex functions, which can then be utilized in mathematical models and simulations. It is also used in signal processing and data analysis to extract useful information from data sets.