Exploring Mass, Gravity & SpaceTime: Ask for Expertise Here

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and spacetime. It is stated that the exact cause of gravitational pull is unknown, but it is caused by mass or stress-energy causing spacetime curvature. The idea of spacetime being an "unbroken canvas" and matter being folded, curled, or compressed within it is brought up, but it is noted that this is a personal speculation and not supported by current theories. It is recommended to learn about General Relativity from reliable sources rather than pop science videos.
Palasta
Greetings. I registered to this forum because of a particular issue regarding Gravity. I'm no astrophysicist or mathematician, i searched to find an answer, but the terminology and equations are a little much for me. I feel the best direct way is to ask people with the right expertise.

It is unknown what exactly causes mass to have a gravitational pull, right? Illustrations of Mass, Gravity and SpaceTime show e.g. a planet sitting in a gravity well, spacetime curving around it. Demonstrated in the video with marbles (mass) on a sheet of fabric (spacetime/gravity).

Mass and SpaceTime two unconnected entities so to say. What is on my mind, is Spacetime as "unbroken" canvas. Not warped around objects, but permeating matter, where it is folded, curled, compressed or whatever within the atomic structure, the mass is defined by the entraped "spacetime-energy", which is contracted and pulls in neighbouring "massless" spacetime, thus creating the phenomenon gravity. A 3D background grid.

Now i want to know if this was already considered and scraped because of various apparent problems. For example would this still require a carrier particle?

I have more on my mind, but i think that's not needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Palasta said:
It is unknown what exactly causes mass to have a gravitational pull, right?
Wrong. Mass (or more generally stress-energy) causes spacetime curvature, and what you call "gravitational pull" is a manifestation of spacetime curvature.

Palasta said:
Demonstrated in the video with marbles (mass) on a sheet of fabric (spacetime/gravity)
This is a common pop science representation but it is seriously flawed. We have had a number of previous PF threads on this.

Palasta said:
What is on my mind, is Spacetime as "unbroken" canvas. Not warped around objects, but permeating matter, where it is folded, curled, compressed or whatever within the atomic structure, the mass is defined by the entraped "spacetime-energy", which is contracted and pulls in neighbouring "massless" spacetime, thus creating the phenomenon gravity. A 3D background grid.
All of this is too vague to even respond to (and please note that PF has rules forbidding discussion of personal speculation, which you are skirting the edge of here). You would be much better served by taking the time to learn what our best current theory of gravity, General Relativity, actually says, not from pop science videos but from actual textbooks or peer-reviewed papers. Sean Carroll's online lecture notes on GR are free and are one good place to start.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in units of kilograms (kg). Mass can be measured using a balance scale or through its gravitational interaction with other objects.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force that attracts two objects with mass towards each other. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. This force is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that objects with larger masses will have a greater influence on the gravitational pull of other objects. However, the distance between objects also plays a role in the strength of gravity.

4. How does mass affect the curvature of spacetime?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy cause spacetime to curve. The more massive an object is, the greater its influence on the curvature of spacetime. This curvature is what causes objects to move towards each other due to the force of gravity.

5. Can mass and gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control mass or gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and exploring new technologies and theories that may one day allow us to manipulate these fundamental forces.