Exploring Mathematics as a Language: A Linguist's Search for Inspiration

• Thread starter vikingofsixth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Literature
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate linguistics student who has recently become interested in mathematics. They were initially turned off by the tedious computations, but their studies in philosophy and linguistics have sparked a desire to explore math as a language. They have a gap year before continuing their education and plan to rebuild their math foundation during this time. They are seeking recommendations for literature on math that is accessible to someone with limited technical knowledge. The recommended book is "What is Mathematics" by Courant. The speaker hopes to eventually combine their knowledge of linguistics and math in the field of computational linguistics.
vikingofsixth
Hello math forum,

I am an undergraduate linguistic student who has absolutely no foundations in mathematics due to a variety of factors during my earlier years. My studies in philosophy and especially linguistics has brought me back to mathematics in a wild search for something that seems hard to articulate.

I was turned away from mathematics because I believed it to be tedious computation. Personal reading of Russell has started to change my mind combined with studies in formal logic. All in all I am looking to explore math as a language hoping to find inspiration that could lead to further revelations in linguistics.

Due to personal move to another state I have a bit of gap year before I continue my college education and have plenty of time to explore new fields of knowledge. I am working to rebuild the basics of math up to calculus over the next several months but basic textbooks are very dry, though necessary, experiences.

I would love to read some actual literature on math that I might be able to digest without having a very technical knowledge yet. Anything from essays to actual books that could help influence my perception on math would be wonderful.

Thanks and enjoy the winter holidays!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on having a look on the recommendation! I would love to get more academically involved in computational linguistics once I get back into university. Until then I will be working to build a strong foundation in mathematics to complement my linguistic education.

What is the purpose of looking for literature in scientific research?

The purpose of looking for literature in scientific research is to review and analyze previous studies and findings related to the topic of interest. This helps to establish a foundation of knowledge and identify gaps in current understanding, which can guide the direction of the research.

How do you determine which literature is relevant to your research?

A good starting point is to search for literature using databases and search engines specific to your field of study. From there, you can narrow down results by using keywords and filters. Additionally, reading the abstracts and introductions of articles can help you determine their relevance to your research.

What is the best way to organize and keep track of the literature found?

There are various tools and techniques for organizing and managing literature, such as using citation management software, creating annotated bibliographies, or using spreadsheets or note-taking apps. It's important to find a method that works for you and allows for easy access and organization of sources.

Can literature from different fields of study be used in scientific research?

Yes, literature from different fields of study can be used in scientific research. Interdisciplinary research is becoming increasingly common and can provide valuable insights and perspectives. However, it's important to critically evaluate the sources and their applicability to your research.

How do you properly cite and reference literature in scientific research?

Citing and referencing literature in scientific research is typically done following a specific citation style, such as APA or MLA. It's important to carefully follow the guidelines for the chosen style to ensure accurate and consistent citations. Additionally, it's important to properly credit and acknowledge the original authors and sources of the literature used.