Exploring Moment of Inertia & Angular Acceleration for Drone Propellers

In summary, The conversation discusses the building of a drone for a school project and the research into angular momentum, torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration. The person is struggling to understand moment of inertia and angular acceleration in relation to the propellers of a quadcopter. The conversation also includes links to resources and a few questions for further exploration, such as the mass and moment of inertia of each rotor blade, the total angular momentum of a hovering quadcopter, and the comparison to an ordinary helicopter.
mxchapz
Hi,

I am building a drone for a school project and I am also looking into how it flies. Recently I have been looking into angular momentum, torque, moment of inertia and angular acceleration. However I am struggling to understand moment of inertia and angular acceleration. If possible please could you explain the two and how they would relate to the propellers of a quadcopter.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! That helped a lot with understanding it but the wired article is very vague on how it relates to the propellers. Do you have any other links or if you know how please could you explain how it relates to propellers. (Sorry for my lack of knowledge I'm only in Year 12/Grade 11 so this is complicated stuff)

When you are dealing with a very fast rotating object like a propeller, you should be aware that there is a strong gyroscopic effect. If you are not familiar with gyroscopes and gyroscopic precession, this is the time to look at that subject. Also, see this.

Last edited:
A few questions for you to answer (presumably for a toy quadcopter)
  1. What is the mass for each rotor blade?https://www.physicsforums.com/account/alerts
  2. What is (roughly) the moment of inertia for each rotor blade?
  3. What is the total angular momentum for a hovering quadcopter
  4. How does this compare to an ordinary (Sikorsky-style) helicopter.
  5. How much power is used to keep the quadcopter hovering (roughly)
  6. How much rotational Kinetic Energy is in the blades at hover (roughly)
I believe you will find that the moment of inertia is far less important than the lift to drag characteristics of the rotor blades. Mostly because the answer to 3 is zero.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass in the object.

2. How is moment of inertia related to angular acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the angular acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net torque acting on the object and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that a larger moment of inertia will result in a smaller angular acceleration.

3. How do you calculate moment of inertia for a drone propeller?

The moment of inertia for a drone propeller can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the propeller, and r is the radius of the propeller.

4. Why is it important to understand moment of inertia and angular acceleration for drone propellers?

Understanding moment of inertia and angular acceleration for drone propellers is important because it can help determine the propeller's performance and stability. It can also aid in the design and optimization of propellers for different types of drones.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia for a drone propeller?

The moment of inertia for a drone propeller can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the propeller, the material it is made of, and the distribution of mass along the propeller's length. Additionally, any added attachments or modifications to the propeller can also impact its moment of inertia.