Importance of Moment of Inertia for designing helicopters and propellers?

OnlyPhysics
is there any book or academic web page "that explains that importance of moment of inertia for designing helicopter and propeller". Actually i have idea why it is important i just need a reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be something to do with the circular motion of the rotor blades?

• Informative
Likes hutchphd
There isn't much context to work with from the OP. I assume the moment of inertia it is talking about is for the cross-section of the blades which relates to how it deforms under load.
The material stiffness also affects how it deforms but geometrical solutions have a lot of potential to reduce the deformation while changing the material only affects it linearly. Besides, sometimes materials are already fixed because of other constraints such as oxidation, temperature resistance, price, manufacturability, availability, etc.

Lift produced by the blades will deform them and if the moment of inertia (and the material stiffness is not chosen to compensate) it could result in the blade having a significantly different profile than the one initially studied for the undeformed geometry. Therefore, the calculated lift will differ from the actual lift that it will produce if the deformation is not considered and it's big enough to have an impact.
Also, in the dynamic case, if the blades are too wobbly all kinds of bad things can happen to it.

Regarding the book @OnlyPhysics was asking for, if the post is related to what I'm saying I'd recommend any book about Mechanics of Materials that talks about beams for a conceptual understanding of the matter. For example, Mechanics of Materials by Barry J. Goodno and James M. Gere.
For a more focused analysis of that particular problem, I don't know any book though. Since the profile of the blade is constantly changing along its length and its geometry is fairly complex I'd assume it must be solved with a combination of CFD and FEM.

Last edited:

What is moment of inertia and why is it important for designing helicopters and propellers?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In the case of helicopters and propellers, it is important because it affects the stability, control, and performance of these aircraft. It determines how much torque is needed to rotate the rotor or propeller and how quickly it will respond to control inputs.

How is moment of inertia calculated for helicopters and propellers?

Moment of inertia is calculated by taking the mass of the object and multiplying it by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For helicopters, this would include the mass of the rotor blades and their distance from the rotor hub. For propellers, it would include the mass of the blades and their distance from the center of rotation.

What factors affect the moment of inertia for helicopters and propellers?

The main factors that affect the moment of inertia for helicopters and propellers are the mass distribution and the shape of the rotor blades or propeller blades. A larger mass or a more spread-out mass distribution will result in a higher moment of inertia, making the aircraft less responsive to control inputs.

How does moment of inertia impact the stability of helicopters and propellers?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in the stability of helicopters and propellers. A higher moment of inertia can provide greater stability, making the aircraft less susceptible to disturbances such as wind gusts. However, too high of a moment of inertia can also make the aircraft less maneuverable and harder to control.

Why is it important to consider moment of inertia during the design process of helicopters and propellers?

Considering moment of inertia during the design process is important because it directly impacts the performance and handling of the aircraft. By optimizing the moment of inertia, designers can improve the stability, control, and efficiency of the helicopter or propeller, leading to a safer and more effective aircraft.