Exploring My New Homeport in Guam

• Thread starter B. Elliott
  • Start date
In summary: I'm glad I could make it out to see you.In summary, the person is in Hawaii and they are excited to be there. They are also excited to finally be home in Guam. They are looking forward to finally buying a decent camera and getting a telescope. They also mentioned that they should probably not move to Guam because of the beautiful scenery.
B. Elliott
Finally made it to my new homeport in Guam. The scenery here is beautiful. Clear blue water, constant warm temperature, palm trees everywhere, extremely nice natives. This is supposed to be one of the top places to go scuba diving, and I can see why.

I'm going out in a little bit to buy a decent camera to take pictures to post. Also, thinking about finally getting a telescope because light pollution where I'm staying is nearly nonexistent. Really neat place!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's very exciting! Sounds gorgeous...when will you be hosting a PF gathering? :biggrin:

I can't wait to see pictures.

B. Elliott said:
Finally made it to my new homeport in Guam. The scenery here is beautiful. Clear blue water, constant warm temperature, palm trees everywhere, extremely nice natives. This is supposed to be one of the top places to go scuba diving, and I can see why.

I'm going out in a little bit to buy a decent camera to take pictures to post. Also, thinking about finally getting a telescope because light pollution where I'm staying is nearly nonexistent. Really neat place!

You rotten kid. Stop reminding me of the good old days...

Btw, did you ever tell us which sub you were on?

And don't make fun of me for forgetting if you already did. I'm old! And senile! And gads I remember the mid pacific...

guam.jpg

And btw, did I tell you that you were a rotten kid yet?

Nice place to be, how are you enjoying the other aspects of your tour?

Wow B. Elliot, I was born in Guam and even though I do not currently live there, I call it my hometown. Back during the weekly PF Photo Contests I submitted a few pictures from Guam. Where are you located? :smile:

If you like Scuba diving, be sure to hit Jellyfish Lake in nearby Palau— arguably the most fantastically amazing place to dive in the world.

I have complained that my University in the United States is a four hour drive to the nearest large city. It can be very frustrating that any really major event takes a pretty long drive to get to.

I probably shouldn't move to Guam.
(Actually you have my envy, I bet it really is a beautiful place.)

Gee, you are so lucky :smile:

Finally got internet again:yuck: Ironically though, I'm not in Guam right now. I'm in Hawaii! I'll be here for a few more months till I head back to Guam. Here's some of the pics I promised.

From the top of Lovers Point (the summit in the top-left of the pic OmCheeto pisted)
IMG00371-1.jpg

IMG00369.jpg

Pics from Gab Gab beach.
IMG00363.jpg

Old pillboxes on Gab Gab
IMG00362.jpg

IMG00361.jpg

Views from my old barracks
IMG00364.jpg

IMG00367.jpg

I really need to get better camera than the one on my Blackberry.

Very nice pics! Makes me feel like I have traveled, at the convience of my own home :biggrin:

Ah, that looks very nice. Good to see you again :smile:!

B. Elliott said:
Finally got internet again:yuck: Ironically though, I'm not in Guam right now. I'm in Hawaii! I'll be here for a few more months till I head back to Guam. Here's some of the pics I promised.

I really need to get better camera than the one on my Blackberry.

Great pictures! With just a bit more coaxing, you might get the sisterhood to skip Bora Bora and come visit you. :cool:
I think Guam should really get a name upgrade. It looks way too much like guano.

And now that you are on Oahu, you might want to get a submersible camera so you can take a picture of that Moray eel that scared the bejeezits out of me in Hanauma bay 30 years ago. I also expect the obligatory pictures of Diamond Head and the Pipeline on the North Shore. And maybe a picture of the pineapple fields. Oh, and a view the mountains from the north shore. And the Arizona memorial. And maybe a picture of the barracks on Ford Island, if they are still there. Amazing place to stay; full of ants and rat sized cockroaches. But who cared, we were in Hawaii. :!)

Thanks again for bringing back great old memories.

1. What is the climate like in Guam?

Guam has a tropical climate characterized by high temperatures and humidity year-round. The average temperature is around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and the wet season runs from July to December.

2. What are the main industries in Guam?

Fishing, tourism, and military operations are the main industries in Guam. Agriculture and manufacturing also play a significant role in the economy.

3. What are some must-visit attractions in Guam?

Some popular attractions in Guam include Tumon Bay, Two Lovers Point, and the War in the Pacific National Historical Park. The island also has beautiful beaches and stunning natural landscapes to explore.

4. Is it safe to swim in the waters surrounding Guam?

Yes, it is generally safe to swim in the waters around Guam. However, it is always important to pay attention to any posted warning signs and be aware of potential hazards, such as strong currents or jellyfish.

5. What is the culture like in Guam?

Guam has a unique blend of Chamorro, Spanish, and American influences in its culture. Traditional Chamorro customs and celebrations, such as fiestas and dances, are still practiced alongside modern American traditions.